.22 Conversion vs. Dedicated - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

.22 Conversion vs. Dedicated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6834 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

ive prolly run over 5k worth of 22lr through my cmmg conversion in my colt sp1. i find it easy to clean. wipe down with breakfree. the bullets from 22lr kinda rattle down the barrel havent had a bit of leading issues as i dont fire centerfire rounds through it before cleaning.

accuracy seems to be solid 3"inch groups at 50yds with colt 4x scope. it eats everything including crappy remington bulk packs works. havent found anything it wont cycle. only stoppages ive had with it have been rounds that just wont go bang and have to be tossed.

wouldnt mind having a dedicated upper, but i dont see the need.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive prolly run over 5k worth of 22lr through my cmmg conversion in my colt sp1. i find it easy to clean. wipe down with breakfree. the bullets from 22lr kinda rattle down the barrel havent had a bit of leading issues as i dont fire centerfire rounds through it before cleaning.

accuracy seems to be solid 3"inch groups at 50yds with colt 4x scope. it eats everything including crappy remington bulk packs works. havent found anything it wont cycle. only stoppages ive had with it have been rounds that just wont go bang and have to be tossed.

wouldnt mind having a dedicated upper, but i dont see the need.
THank you for the info. Hopefully Ill be able to shoot the crap out of this thing once I get it.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
I get the same accuracy with the unit as with the upper. With a scope and sandbagged rest and match ammo, that might not be true, but I don't hunt from a sandbagged rest. I can carry the unit in the leg pocket of my cammies, ready to swap calibers in 20 secs. Just be sure to fire 2-3 223's for every 200-300 rds of 22lr, to make sure that any 22 residues are blown out of the gas tube.
What kind of .22 upper is it?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #24

Default Colt/Umarex & Cmmg Sierra Upper

Maybe I'm just lucky but the Colt/Umarex 22 has been great and my grandkids love it. The trigger is a little rough.
I also bought a CMMG Sierra Upper. After some teething problems (the bolt rear plate fell off!) It has worked pretty well. I get an occasional flier and wonder if the spring is strong enough. Mated to a RRA lower, with a good trigger the CMMG is a ball.

Fourbits

Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Brown Santa brought this today. CMMG dedicated upper on a DD lower. Cant wait to try it out.

.22 Conversion vs. Dedicated - AR-15 Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Dedicated, hands down!

And get it with a pink Ergo grip like my daughter's Colt Operator.

For my oldest daughter's 5th birthday she'll be give the option of a few different .22s. Of course they'll all have pink furniture!

As to the OP DEDICATED

Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6834 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
THank you for the info. Hopefully Ill be able to shoot the crap out of this thing once I get it.
your welcome. one last thing dont let it sit with the 22lr dirt in it for even a day and keep it well lubed while shooting the 22lr stuff. heavy lube prevents a lot of the caking of the dirty as hell 22 ammo.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
My daughter and I have run ~2K of various brands and velocities. With the exception of the usual Remington issues (I don't know how they can still sell that crap!) the Colt has run just fine.

I do find if we use the 10 rnd mags we tend to save ammo. Something about running 10-15 rnds out of the 30 and then wanting to "open 'er up" really results in you opening up the wallet!

I really recommend a dedicated rimfire AR. I don't like the idea of running a lubed lead bullet past my gas port on my 6940.

X2, and dedicated.

And as far the Colt/Umarex M4 22, I've been running tactical carbine drills with it since February, and it's a mighty little tack driver. For simulation it is almost identical to the M4...never a misfeed...oh, yeah, wait a minute, after a few thousand flawless rounds, we had ONE misfeed because somebody had loaded a mag with Remington

Last edited by 7point62; 12-18-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Hmmm, four of us here actually own the Colt/Walther/Umarex .22LR and all four love it. What are the odds of that after reading all the negative opinions in the wind. Guess we must be lucky bastards because the internet ninjas all say it's a piece of junk! No doubt the S&W M&P15-22 - and probably most of the other military look alikes are fine choices as well.

Anyway, I vote dedicated over .22 conversion if you plan to run a lot of ammo down the tube. And if you want the accuracy a slow barrel twist will give you.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hmmm, four of us here actually own the Colt/Walther/Umarex .22LR and all four love it. What are the odds of that after reading all the negative opinions in the wind. Guess we must be lucky bastards because the internet ninjas all say it's a piece of junk! No doubt the S&W M&P15-22 - and probably most of the other military look alikes are fine choices as well.

Anyway, I vote dedicated over .22 conversion if you plan to run a lot of ammo down the tube. And if you want the accuracy a slow barrel twist will give you.
I think its the "gotta have the best of the best or its not worth crap" crowd you find on the big forums. Sometimes the wealth of knowledge on the internet is a hindrance. Its hard to know who to trust. But then how many of us have the $ to experiment w/ what works and what doesnt? Its an expensive hobby and theres always something I "need" so every penny counts.