.22 Conversion vs. Dedicated
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .22 Conversion vs. Dedicated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Default .22 Conversion vs. Dedicated

Is it worth spending $150 for a conversion kit for the AR or should I just get a dedicated .22 Platform for approx. $400?

Anyone with experience on either?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #2

After having both I like the dedicated upper. You will have the proper 1-16 twist barrel, no worries about fouling your gas system, better accuracy. But then youll want to build a lower for it and theres another $250. My CMMG bolt conversion did work well and could get around 1'' groups at 25 yards with the right ammo.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You can get a Colt M4-styled .22lr AR platform for, like, $500 at Big-5. The most recent issue of the NRA magazine American Rifleman (which anyone can read online) reviewed the new lineup of popular .22 "tactical" rifles.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a CMMG M4 profile dedicated upper that works with a mil-spec lower. I paid $325 for it without any magazines. So you're looking at roughly double what the drop-in conversion costs. In my case, I had an extra complete lower laying around (don't ask) and it made sense at the time. But, in the black friday ads I saw either Cabela's or Sportsman's advertising the Sig 522 with an extra 20" target barrel for just over $400. If I didn't already have my setup, I'd have been on that like a fat kid on cake. My dad has the S&W M&P 15-22 and it is nice. It's light since the upper and lower are composite, but it's definitely ammo picky where my CMMG is not. But for around $400 you get a complete rifle.

Really there are tons of .22lr options out there right now. CMMG is making a bunch of different configurations of dedicated uppers and complete rifles. I wish I'd waited a little longer on mine as they just came out with a 20" government profile that looks cool as the backside of your pillow.

Mine:

Gub'mint profile:

Last edited by russ; 12-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=russ;401226]I have a CMMG M4 profile dedicated upper that works with a mil-spec lower. I paid $325 for it without any magazines. So you're looking at roughly double what the drop-in conversion costs. In my case, I had an extra complete lower laying around (don't ask) and it made sense at the time. But, in the black friday ads I saw either Cabela's or Sportsman's advertising the Sig 522 with an extra 20" target barrel for just over $400. If I didn't already have my setup, I'd have been on that like a fat kid on cake. My dad has the S&W M&P 15-22 and it is nice. It's light since the upper and lower are composite, but it's definitely ammo picky where my CMMG is not. But for around $400 you get a complete rifle.

Really there are tons of .22lr options out there right now. CMMG is making a bunch of different configurations of dedicated uppers and complete rifles. I wish I'd waited a little longer on mine as they just came out with a 20" government profile that looks cool as the backside of your pillow.

Mine:

I just ordered the CMMG dedicated upper like the one pictured. Figured w/ the extra lowers I have sitting around I would get a dedicated up. Lets hear some inside info on it, please.

As far as the Colt .22 rifles Ive heard bad things about them. They are actually made by an airsoft company.

Ive read Spikes makes on of the best dedicated .22lr's on the market.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a big fan of CMMG, and I make no attempt to hide it. All of my lowers on all four AR's are from CMMG. The Spike's and ATI dedicated uppers are way more expensive than the CMMG stuff, and I don't really know why. I've also heard some unhappy reviews of the Colt/Umarex .22 stuff, but have no first hand experience. So far my CMMG upper has been perfect, the only issue was mag related when I tried to over-load the mag and it didn't feed correctly. As soon as I figured out what the problem was, it has been fine. Fit and finish is on par with their full caliber AR stuff, no short cuts just because it's a .22. I don't know what else to say, do you have a specific question about it mjkeat?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I had actually intended on using the engraved lower for just that - as a dedicated .22lr. But now I've got an idea kicking around my head and my .22lr plans have taken a whole new direction.

I had thought about getting one of the conversions but ultimately settled against it. I figured when all the costs were added up a dedicated AR in .22lr was not so much more that I couldn't afford it.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dedicated, hands down!

And get it with a pink Ergo grip like my daughter's Colt Operator.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #9

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
...As far as the Colt .22 rifles Ive heard bad things about them. They are actually made by an airsoft company...
There were teething problems with the first Colt and S&W .22LR AR lookalikes but that shouldn't be a problem anymore. My Colt (actually made by Walther) M4 .22 shoots great and I hear the same goes for S&W. I'm very happy with the Colt plus it looks a lot like a real M4. Same weight too.

Seems like there's a lot of hate for the Colt but people who actually have them tend to love them. I'm keeping mine.

Umarex is the importer and their customer support is quite good. They sent me a taller front sight post that I needed when putting on a milspec height rear sight - for free.

Bet your daughter loves hers, Cane! Nice upgrade!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I'm a big fan of CMMG, and I make no attempt to hide it. All of my lowers on all four AR's are from CMMG. The Spike's and ATI dedicated uppers are way more expensive than the CMMG stuff, and I don't really know why. I've also heard some unhappy reviews of the Colt/Umarex .22 stuff, but have no first hand experience. So far my CMMG upper has been perfect, the only issue was mag related when I tried to over-load the mag and it didn't feed correctly. As soon as I figured out what the problem was, it has been fine. Fit and finish is on par with their full caliber AR stuff, no short cuts just because it's a .22. I don't know what else to say, do you have a specific question about it mjkeat?
Is it finicky about ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
There were teething problems with the first Colt and S&W .22LR AR lookalikes but that shouldn't be a problem anymore. My Colt (actually made by Walther) M4 .22 shoots great and I hear the same goes for S&W. I'm very happy with the Colt plus it looks a lot like a real M4. Same weight too.

Seems like there's a lot of hate for the Colt but people who actually have them tend to love them. I'm keeping mine.

Umarex is the importer and their customer support is quite good. They sent me a taller front sight post that I needed when putting on a milspec height rear sight - for free.

Bet your daughter loves hers, Cane! Nice upgrade!
I may have recieved biased information. Thats unfortunate because I really liked the looks of the Colt.