Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .22 conversion kits damage lowers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .22 conversion kits damage lowers?

I want to purchase a CMMG Stainless .22 conversion kit so I can at least run my AR at the local indoor range in between outdoor shoots and save money on ammo too. I am also keen to get my kids going as well.

I have heard that these kits prematurely wear out the lowers? There is even some sort of aftermarket plug made that goes in the buffer tube area and keeps forward pressure on the bolt ass'y, supposedly preventing this wear.

Does anyone know anything about this issue of wear with the kits, or have experience with .22 kits in general, especially the stainless CMMG Bravo?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

the .22 adapter is nothing but a bolt (that replaces the original bolt and a modified mag). the bolt has motion within itself but does not affect any other parts of the weapon.

i dont see how it could cause any wear on the gun

i've used one for years with no problems.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

what he said. my friend has one and ive used it. everything that moves is inside the kits own BCG. nothing but the trigger and kit move. buffer stays still. so far my friends has worked great. hes been using CCI minimags in his.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for those replies. Makes me feel better. This is what I saw last night.........is this for real or just trying to sell a product?

"Does your 22LR insert fit tight into your upper? Does it move back and forth? Did you know that the very top of your lower receiver takes all the recoil of your 22LR insert? You can eliminate all those problems by inserting the pressure plug in front of your buffer. The front of the plug has a taper that will allow you to open and close the weapon just like you always could.

The pressure plug will apply a constant pressure on your insert, always keeping it in the most forward position when the rifle is in battery. Being about an inch and a half long, this plug gives an added cushion, utilizing your recoil spring to reduce the battering your lower take on recoil.

At $X.XX......this a great insurance policy against potential damage to your lower and it will help improve the accuracy of your 22LR AR15, even if your collar has a spring detent, as there is still play between the rails and the collar"

Another one....from the manufacturer site of the "plug".......

"AR-15 22 long rifle conversion kits will have some play in most upper receivers, without the pressure plug the top of your lower will be absorbing the impact and affecting the reliability of the kit. The pressure plug installs on top of your buffer, and will keep tension on the conversion kit, eliminating wear on your lower and increasing the reliability."

I don't know if this forum has rules I am violating. I'm trying to not mention product names or links to companies.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Its bunk.

These kits do blowback a lot of vaporized lead. With kids involved i would skip the kit and get a ruger 1022 or sw mp15 or a tube fed marlin instead.

The magazines of the cmmg kit are a pita to load.

The kit does work and work pretty good if kept lubed but its no substitute for a 22lr firearm.

My opinion its a skip.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have the CMMG kit and it works fine. JonM is correct in that the magazine isn't a good time to be had by all for loading, but it functions as advertised.

I haven't had any significant wear or tear that I would report, though I have probably only put 250-300 .22lr rounds through the kit since I have had it.

I found it great for teaching the platform to those unfamilar with it and fun for new people who aren't ready for dealing with a "big gun" recoil.

Haven't noticed any problems with lead blowback as indicated above but my range does have a system for filtering air as required by our green state construction laws.

Let us know what you decide.

JD

Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Thanks for those replies. Makes me feel better. This is what I saw last night.........is this for real or just trying to sell a product?

"Does your 22LR insert fit tight into your upper? Does it move back and forth? Did you know that the very top of your lower receiver takes all the recoil of your 22LR insert? You can eliminate all those problems by inserting the pressure plug in front of your buffer. The front of the plug has a taper that will allow you to open and close the weapon just like you always could.

The pressure plug will apply a constant pressure on your insert, always keeping it in the most forward position when the rifle is in battery. Being about an inch and a half long, this plug gives an added cushion, utilizing your recoil spring to reduce the battering your lower take on recoil.

At $X.XX......this a great insurance policy against potential damage to your lower and it will help improve the accuracy of your 22LR AR15, even if your collar has a spring detent, as there is still play between the rails and the collar"

Another one....from the manufacturer site of the "plug".......

"AR-15 22 long rifle conversion kits will have some play in most upper receivers, without the pressure plug the top of your lower will be absorbing the impact and affecting the reliability of the kit. The pressure plug installs on top of your buffer, and will keep tension on the conversion kit, eliminating wear on your lower and increasing the reliability."

I don't know if this forum has rules I am violating. I'm trying to not mention product names or links to companies.
Thats just another gimmick to sell more unneeded crap. the top of the receiver takes no force from the .22 lr kit since there is only a SS cut support circle on the front and the back nothing really touches the top of the receiver . yes the mags are a PITA to load and thats why I only put 24 rds in them the last 2-3 are tough , I have cycled well over 2000 rds thru mine without a hitch , they are picky and remington ammo sometimes does not cycle well thru it , I have had the best luck with CCI and the winchester 555's and 333's I have only had 1 misfire on 3 boxes of the 555's I ran thru it one weekend

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Thats just another gimmick to sell more unneeded crap.
Yes.....that's how it was feeling to me because between you fine shooters here and some reviews I read....the CMMG Stainless get's decent marks.

The guy at my local online and physical store almost had me going for an upper today. He had the CMMG kit in stock with a CA 10 rd magazine.....but his whole schpiel was A) the twist rate in the LMT is not great for a .22 long rifle which is going to prefer a 1-in-16 or so....and B) he said because it is a blowback system and there is a gas tube on the full size uppers, there is a pressure loss while the bullet is still in the barrel...both of these factors resulting in a much less efficient system.

Well I called someone who has the CMMG kit (as well as a 10/22) and he says he notices no real difference between his 1-in-9 Stag and his 1-in-7 LMT and at around 50 yds he pretty much hits what he is aiming at and at 100yds if he has put some clays on a berm .....he might not be hitting them every shot but he's within a few inches.

So I ordered the kit. I will let you guys know how it shoots.

JonM....I agree the best way to go is the 10/22 but I wanted to keep the AR the same system so I can practice with it a lot. I know I will have to make a big adjustment each time I go to the bigger rounds......but hopefully just doing a bunch of drills like coming up from a low carry to acquiring a target with the red dot and getting a round on target....stuff like that over and over.

Thank you everybody. You folks have been great. Please feel free to continue to weigh in with yay's or nay's.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Unpopulist
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I have one and cant see any possible wear on the lower. The idea is ridiculous.

On the point of lead blow back, there is an adjustable gas tube for 14 bucks on midway. It can be set to zero so that the gasses and lead foul from the 22lr aren't sent back into the receiver. Its more intended for optimizing use with a sound suppressor, but for the money it could work some kinks out of the 22lr kits as well.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

the aquilla 60gr. 22lr subsonics are very acurate in an ar