22 conversion kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 22 conversion kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 22 conversion kit

Have any of you used one of the drop in .22lr conversion kits? I am looking for an economical way to practice and i think being able to use the same rifle makes a lot of sense. So my questions are #1 are they reliable and #2 are they worth the $? Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Nothing...?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Don't have one but they seem to work though with many disadvantages: sloppy accuracy, dirty/gumming up the gas tube, reliability issues with magazines and brands of ammo. The positive side is they are cheap.

I'd rather pay more for a .22lr upper or a dedicated tactical .22lr like the Colt and S&W. I got the Colt, a buddy got the S&W and both work well.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have one It has over 3000 rds thru it , only issue I had was a extractor and CMMG replaced it no questions asked . It cycles best with winchester bulk 555 ammo , cheapo remingtons it does not really care for , Bulk federals are ok but sometimes the Feds just dont go bang . Alot of people out there talk about sloppy accuracy out of the 1:7 barrel . Im calling BS this first pic is 60 yards 10 shots taking my time , second pic is 60 yards unloading a 25 rd mag as fast as I could .
Seem that sloppy to you for a 36 gr bullet coming out of the end of the barrel trying to twist its self apart because its spinning so fast ? I dont think so its more than accurate enough for me . By the way that is a 3" dot

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

Awsome, I am really think about getting one. That is not bad at all. I have a 1:8 barrel, so would i expect more "accuracy"? Also, with the high twist rate, do you have problems with barrel leading?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

No doubt conversion kits work beter in some barrels than others. Overall though, the .22lr likes a slower twist in a rifle barrel, more like 1/15",otherwise dedicated .22lr barrels would come in faster twists.

Anyway, it's pretty cheap to give one a try in your rifle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Awsome, I am really think about getting one. That is not bad at all. I have a 1:8 barrel, so would i expect more "accuracy"? Also, with the high twist rate, do you have problems with barrel leading?
Theres not going to be much difference in a 1:8 as far as accuracy . It really comes down to the shooter , I have a very clean breaking, light weight trigger in that rifle and that does help but its up to the shooter to do his job to get the accuracy . They do make some rounds in 40 gr but there wasnt a pennies worth of better accuracy out of them and they were a bit more expensive . lead build up no big deal put the .223 bolt back in and let a few rip down the pipe and clean it and the gas tube up of gunk . Keep the .22 conversion slide on the bolt lubed up good and you wont have any issues .
The biggest thing is it does make the chamber and lower guts very dirty but thats easy enough to clean up , you will know when the barrel needs cleaned the accuracy will take a crap bad when its ready.

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-07-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the help guys, time to start shopping

Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The most practical option is to buy a completely different rifle. I'd probably go with the S&W MP 22-15 personally, but a variety of options are out there. Mossberg offers one of the most affordable.

If I were to go conversion (which I'm considering), it would be a Tactical Solutions upper+mag with a threaded barrel. I handled one and it looked to be quality throughout and was exceptionally light when mounted to a standard AR lower. And yes, I'd put those threads to work....NOT the most "economic" option, however.

I think CCMG makes budget-friendly rimfire conversions if you're determined to go that route. But I think something like the SW 15-22 probably makes a bit more sense.