.22 ar15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .22 ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 ar15

I am wanting to a .22 long rifle in the ar platform. Just can't decide if I want a dedicated upper or a sw 15 22. Whats every tried/liked about which one they chose? Also does anyone know if the slide fire stock will work with the .22 lr?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

A dedicated AR lookalike such as S&W M&P15-22 or Colt is fine. As is a .22LR upper. Your call, advantages to either way. I found a sale on the Colt and am pleased with it. I liked the idea of a complete rifle for $450 vs. an upper but no doubt there are advantages to using a true AR lower.

As far as bump firing, do you think there's enough recoil?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

There's a trigger attachment that aids in bump firing called the gat trigger, somehow makes it more sensitive, and capable of bump firing a low-recoil gun like a 22. Don't know much other than that. Never tried to bump.

http://gattrigger.com/

Check the video for the gat trigger in the middle of the page.

Last edited by triggernomic; 12-11-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #4

I was in the same boat awhile ago but I decided to just get one of those conversion kits for like 180 I think with 3 mags. I love it, and it's much cheaper than an entire gun, also don't have to deal with transfer fees, going to get it, etc... It takes up less space in my safe and gun case too. I got the stainless one and the carbon wipes off easily, but I've heard they also have a non stainless version for even cheaper.

Also the kit operates (obviously) just like the real thing because it is, and the mags have the bolt hold open built in, on last shot fired.

Last edited by Scratch; 12-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

The issue with dedicated upper is the magazines are a pain in the @ss to load after the first 200 or so.

The sw mp15-22 everything works as it should all the controls are functional like in the centerfire ar15s. Magazines are very easy to load

The colt while it hasabolt hold open the bolt release is purely cosmetic nonfunctional. The safety doesnt operate like a real ar15. Magazine loading is similar to dedicated upper type mags

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The issue with dedicated upper is the magazines are a pain in the @ss to load after the first 200 or so.

The sw mp15-22 everything works as it should all the controls are functional like in the centerfire ar15s. Magazines are very easy to load

The colt while it hasabolt hold open the bolt release is purely cosmetic nonfunctional. The safety doesnt operate like a real ar15. Magazine loading is similar to dedicated upper type mags
I want a rifle in .22lr for supplemental training, so I was gonna go with a dedicated upper. The M&P 15-22 is really nice, but it's too light for my purposes. I want something that swings, handles and snaps like my actual rifle, so I want them to be as close in weight as possible.

What's the issue with the mags? I don't see why they would get harder to load over time.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

The Colt magazines actually are very easy to load, just like the S&W. Also the Colt magazines hold 30 rounds while the S&W only holds 25. Cosmetic features such as forward assist and external BHO of the Colt are there to make it look more like a real M4 while the S&W omits some of the "looks" entirely, such as the FA and flash hider/threaded barrel in some models. The main difference between them is that the Colt comes much closer to the look and the weight of a real AR, and the S&W while being very lightweight actually has a lower receiver that functions very much the same as an AR.

The Colt gets trashed or even ignored a lot but there's no denying it is a good choice, as is the M&P15-22. Handle them (and other options) and make your own decision.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I say the SW15-22. Though I haven't shot the Colt I trust Q's opinion.

I own a dedicated .22 from CMMG that rides on top of a true AR lower. I really enjoy shooting it and would recommend it also. Just give it a little break in time to start running reliably.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I want a rifle in .22lr for supplemental training, so I was gonna go with a dedicated upper. The M&P 15-22 is really nice, but it's too light for my purposes. I want something that swings, handles and snaps like my actual rifle, so I want them to be as close in weight as possible.

What's the issue with the mags? I don't see why they would get harder to load over time.

-Fred
the typical dedicated upper mags are the blackdog/cmmg type with no load assist button. they are thumb busters. the cmmg dedicated uppers with forward assist and bolt hold open is as close as it gets to the real thing thing. the only drawback poor mag design.

ive got a cmmg kit and got tired of using it because my fingers go numb and start hurting painfully after a few cycles of loading. loading them is very slow too.

if you dont mind the downtime and pain the dedicated cmmg route is the only way to replicate a AR faithfully

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
A dedicated AR lookalike such as S&W M&P15-22 or Colt is fine. As is a .22LR upper. Your call, advantages to either way. I found a sale on the Colt and am pleased with it. I liked the idea of a complete rifle for $450 vs. an upper but no doubt there are advantages to using a true AR lower.

As far as bump firing, do you think there's enough recoil?
I'm not sure. Seen the fosetech outdoors video on you tube. Had little girl bump firing with an sw mp15. I sent them email asking if there was any mods to make it work on the sw or a true lower with .22 upper