200 yards - Red dot or scope?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 200 yards - Red dot or scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default 200 yards - Red dot or scope?

I'm looking to target shoot my new Sig 716 at various distances, but probably not more than 200 yards on a regular basis. Will an Aimpoint red dot do the trick or do I need a scope for tight groups?

If is the answer is both would be good for different purposes, which would make more sense as a starting point?

This is my first AR, so I appreciate the help.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag, 2.5" snubby
H&K VP9

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2408 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Red dots are not precision shooting optics. They are meant for fast shooting scenarios. An AR with a red dot sighted in at 50 yards will be on target out to 200-220 yards depending on barrel length. On target means within the red dot moa. At 200 yards a 3 moa dot will cover 6" of target. I now have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 with a 1moa dot that can be illuminated. It will give you the red dot and the scope. Drawback is it is a lot heavier than a red dot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

a red dot is for fast aqusition. generally on larger area targets such as a torso, or square plate.. at any longer distance you will not get the best of groupings. a scope is made for accuracy... and will give you as tight a group as you are capable of at those distances. if i was going into CQB or short range competitions i would take the red dot.. if i want holes touching in a bullseye im taking the scope.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Check out the trijicon tr24. I'm just in love with this optic. True 1x simple triangle blows away any rds in speed. At 4x you have a good aiming reticle for 100-300 yards before you need to dial in drops.

I'm using one on my scar17 on a adm qd mount. I like it better than my acog.

I'm not a fan of dot sights too limiting and I find worse than using iron sights much past 50 yards. Mileage may vary. Some folks will definately disagree with me on this

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3182 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

Before relying on a red dot sight for distance shooting, find out the size of the actual red dot. If your shooting a 2 moa red dot sight at a target 200 yards away, you'll obscure your x-ring.

You will be able to hit your target if you're looking to be "combat" accurate, but not if you're target shooting for the bullseye.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've got the Trijicon TR24 on my M&P 10. Great optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #7

Liked 406 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

if you stay among affordable units and dont talk ACOGS (which are scopes rather than redots anyway) you can still do it whit a redot all day long..

BUT I would strongly recommend the EoTech 512 or 517 instead of the AIMPOINT PRO then (I run both on different rifles).

The EOtech while some say less robust than the AIMpoint is still plenty robust and has never failed me.

Also it features a 1 moa dot surrounded by article
The 2 and even 4 MOA dots on AIMpoints are IMO not fine enough to enable easy aiming at non CQB distances.
My rifles with aimpoints are all CQB setups only.
My Eotech equipped rifle is my all distance rifle, the EoTech works great at both short (under 100) , medium ( under 300m ) distances.

From 350 m on up I would prefer something with magnification like a traditional scope.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?