Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which 20" upper: Stag vs RRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Which 20" upper: Stag vs RRA

So I have a Stag lower w/ KNS anti-rotational pins and A2 stock that I want to put a 20" upper on for that M16 look. These are my choices i've decided on.

Stag 4H Post ban, 20" Chrome Moly 1/9 Twist, detachable handle - $530 shipped in stock

OR

Rock River Arms Standard A4 20" upper Post Ban (lower one in photo but w/o stainless barrel), Chrome lined 1/9 twist - $555 plus shipping

The RRA is probably going to be a longer wait and i'll have to buy a carry handle as well, while the Stag is in stock and can be had probably within a week.

The 20" AR would be more of a range rifle. I have a 16" Stag lefty for SHTF if needed.

What say you! I know CL is longer lasting and easier to clean. I do clean my rifles after every range trip. Buying the Stag upper would put me at $780 for the complete build.

Also will be picking up a CMMG .22 conversion for either as well.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

STAG, match the upper and lower.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
STAG, match the upper and lower.
This is the way i'm leaning. Plus I just heard back from RRA and the wait is around 60 days. I hate waiting

Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I'd also say Stag but what about other choices?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

I need a upper with no bayonnet lug and a pinned and welded muzzle brake. Both of these come like that without having to jump through any hoops. I posted this elseware and the consensus is for the Stag.

I want a quality piece, not crap, but I also want to stay around $800 for the whole build. This puts me just under. Then just get the CMMG .22 kit and I have a pretty nice setup.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #6

These companies both make quality products. I would also vote for Stag just for the sake of matching your upper and lower, and I can relate to the not wanting to wait thing. I own products from both companies (complete Stag rifle, and RRA stripped lower), and have no complaints about either.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Jamesb

If you clean your weapon as you say. It would make little if any difference if it is chromed lined or not Both Stag and Rock River build some good stuff. Personally for accuracy I would rather have the straight chrome Molly from either manufacturer. Not that the difference in accuracy is that much difference. But check the accuracy guarantee in their catalogs and you will see they note a slight difference. Since you are going to the 20" barrel I assume precise accuracy is one of your focuses?
The price difference also is because the Chrome lining. It use to be a $35-40 additional charge over the chrome Molly. May be more now? If you look at the stainless steel 20" barrel they use on this same upper at Rock River it is a National Match Barrel 1:8 Twist. It is the same one used on the National Match Rifles for the Camp Perry National Matches by the military and civilian shooters. It is an extremely accurate barrel. *For info only! You can not go wrong either way.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Thanks man, I guess to answer your question yes, I want this to be accurate. My 16" Stag is Chrome lined. This 20" is going to function as an iron sights only range gun for now. May mount an optic eventually. I'll be shooting out to a max of 100 yards.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
This is the way i'm leaning. Plus I just heard back from RRA and the wait is around 60 days. I hate waiting
Why wait? The Stag is a great weapon, I love mine.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #10

After some debate I decided to pull the trigger tonight. Ordered up the Stag and a cleaning kit with it that fits inside the A2 buttstock.

Planning on picking up a EOtech G23.FTS for my 16" next. Then just more ammo and magazines.

I kept thinking of going with a 20" upper with a rail system, but I want this to be a barebones M16A4 style rifle and not add unnecessary weight. I will probably end up getting a .22 kit for it too. Pics once I get it.