Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 20" heavy or light barrel? Opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
You may want to consider a Cav Arms MKII lower. They save a pound of weight as well. I recently put one on my wife's superlight AR15.

Had been thinking about getting her an M1 Carbine, but with the superlight AR15, she gets a light gun, a better round, and most parts are compatible with all of my other AR15's.

AR15 Pro - Defensive Carbine: New Lower for my Superlight AR15
Thanks RM,
I did look at those, too. Only prob, none of the local gunnies stock them, and didn't want to pay transfer fees. Plus I had a few lowers and uppers on hand, that were kind of 'orphaned', just sitting and waiting to be fondled. She likes the A1/A2 uppers w/ built in handle, because the sight is built in and less to go wrong with them. And her eyes are still better than most, so she like the iron sights. Props to her, mine used to be 20/15, but the mileage has made those numbers not so good anymore. But I can still keep them in the 10 ring, so not complaining. She shoots the lights out anytime, anywhere, with pistol, rifle, or shotty, so I'll put together what she is comfortable with.

But the Cav Arms lower is a really good idea for those trying to keep it lightweight.

Slo

Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What part of the NW are you from? I ordered my Cav Arms Lowers from JC Weaponry out of Vancouver, WA.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #13

I consider all AR variants light, even the match heavy barrels. The great thing about AR's is that because of their modular design the sky is the limit with different barrel lengths with one lower. This platform is unsurpassed by any other i know about. The ergonomics and ease of loading in a stressful situation make it a top choice for any military/LE units.
I'll take a 20" barrel over any other, especially because if a rifle can't shoot up to the 300m with a fist size group, I have no use for it. A mid length 16" is about the shortest i find useful in .223/5.56. With the short carbine lengths I find the muzzle blast too much(where the propellant energy is being released into the air rather then pushing the bullet). I ended up with a 8" 9mm AR for my close up and personal scenerios and the muzzle blast is non-existent and the ammo is cheap.
The whole "SHTF" stuff is silly...it really doesn't matter what you have in a situation, but rather an abudance of ammo, rations and the proper mindset. Most seasoned hunters i know would give anyone with an AR a run for their money with their boltguns.

Last edited by Gutpile; 12-15-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
I consider all AR variants light, even the match heavy barrels.
My AR-10 weights over 13 pounds with a 4-round mag. I would consider it a little on the heavy side, and it's only got an 18" barrel. I'm sure the ones with the 24" barrels are fairly heavy.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"