Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 20" barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 20" barrel

Hey y'all I'm looking to build a 2nd upper for my AR. I wasn't this to be a 20" barrel since my other upper is a carbine length. Do any of you guys know of a decent barrel that won't break the bank? I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want something that doesn't suck and is affordable. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Any particular reason why 20"??

My pref is 16"midlength.

20's are more for varmint or precision builds. There are a few companies that have govt profiled 20" none of which I would particularly want in a serious gun.

I've got a couple 20's one is my rra national match full heavy barrel from wilson arms, another is a bull barrel from krieger, and I have two older m16 pencil barrels I bought years ago as surplus for plinking.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I was wanting to build a precision AR upper. Would 18" be better? Trying to weigh the pros and cons of different length barrels. But I don't want another 16" barrel unless it's a colt.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1445 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 724

For precision in repeat shots, the barrel weight will help more than the length.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

if your looking to build a precision ar15 good barrels arent cheap. whats your price range??

20" will be heavy 18 a little less so but finding a good 18 isnt easy. 20" will be a smoother shooting gun with a rifle length gas system. 20 will get you out to 600yds very easily under any conditions. 600yds is the realistic range of a 223/556 just due simply to bullet weight to case capacity ratio.

20 inch will go a bit past 600 yards before it poops out but wind is going to blow that little itty bitty bullet all over the place making longer shots under less than ideal conditions problematic. that is why you really dont see a lot of 20" rifles anymore in 223/556. other rounds do it waaaay better

223/556 is really an under 600yd cartridge. i would personally put in the 300yard max category as it pretty much turns into a 22mag-22lr much past 300yds. anyway... good barrels come from whiteoak, shilen, krieger, fn, wilson arms (not combat), and a few others i cant remember atm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Take a look at Green Mountain. They offer a few assortments that might work. 2" on a Barrel won't make a difference in velocity or accuracy. The Accuracy will come from how rigid the Barrel is from the forces of flex. This is where Bull compared to Pencil Barrels differ in their Accuracy performance and not their lengths. Only hold back is if wanting in Stainless or Barrel Steels. I've only seen Bulls in Stainless which won't come with any Bore Treatments.
Other Barrel Makers for AR's: Shaw, Krieger, FN, Douglas, Hart, Shilen, Obermeyer, Rock, Criterion, White Oak, Lother Walther, Schneider, Lilja, McGowen, Montana just to name a few.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilletFan24 View Post
Hey y'all I'm looking to build a 2nd upper for my AR. I wasn't this to be a 20" barrel since my other upper is a carbine length. Do any of you guys know of a decent barrel that won't break the bank? I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want something that doesn't suck and is affordable. Thanks!
I don't have it yet but have a 20" SS bull barrel on order from Black Hole Weaponry. Have read good things about their barrels. $342 delivered.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My ideal precision setup is an 18" SS barrel with a 1:8 twist. Those are easy to find, but most are quite expensive. I just believe that's the length and twist that offers the most beneficial performance with no real detractive attributes.

A few months back I built a 20" SS precision AR...Noveske lower, ambi CH, M16 BCG, CTR stock, 15" MI handguard, Magpul F/R MBUS...got the whole thing built for just over $1K. This is the upper I used. It's out of stock right now, but it'll be back. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in three weeks. The price was under $500. The barrel and handguard were both excellent, but this will be a heavy rifle.

So you can build the rifle for $1000. But then you may desire a heavier stock to balance it out a bit. And a $200 trigger. And optics. Maybe even a bipod. And your budget has suddenly spun out of control, LOL.

Last edited by sweeper22; 02-08-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is not cheap, but I will throw it out there just in case you hit the lottery

http://www.rogtac.com/noveske/barrels/5-56mm/noveske-20mv-barrel.html

I can also get Rainier Arms barrels!

-

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 20" barrel

Gosh that's more expensive than I thought it would be lol. If I went with another 16" barrel, what would be a good company and twist rate? Also I would want to free float it so what's a good length for the free float handguard?

One more thing. What's the best twist rate for a 55 grain, 62 grain, and 70-something grain bullets?