Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 2 Stage or not 2 stage??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 2 Stage or not 2 stage??

Alright, my AR project has officially started and I'm rounding up parts for my lower. I can get a 3 or 4# trigger kit for $30-40 more then what a 2 stage trigger costs and I would still need the lower kit. Is a 2 stage really worth it? This rifle will be mostly used for target only, I might pop a groundhog here and there if they can't keep their fat butts out of the garden. I could see it becoming a SHTF rifle but that is a secondary thought at this point. I'm leaning towards the single stage trigger so I can spend the $75ish on other parts. Anyone have some thoughts?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Spitty,

All depends on your style of shootin'. If you are one of those who is going to take time to set up for a shot, dial it all in on your optics, watch your breathing, and squeeze through the takeup and then the shot - for MOST of your shots, then you should consider a 2-stage.

If like most, you are out there popping clays, water bottles, the occasional prairie poodle or ground hogs, target shooting, or just have it ready for 2012 and the arrival of the zombies, then I'd say get a smooth single stage.

For my HD stick, it is a very reliable and smooth single stage by Bill Springfield. The stick next to it has a #3 Timney trigger in it, again very smooth and reliable. And the one that is next to my bed has a Geissele trigger in it, and is the best I have ever felt. I CAN tell the difference between them, but would put my life or my family's lives on the line with any of them. I do have over 1000 rounds through them, with no issues, so I feel pretty secure that they will go bang when need be.

As for the kits, figure about $60-70 for a lower parts kit, and that will normally come with a mil-spec service trigger. Now, you could ditch that if you choose, and get a different trigger. OR...you could do like some have, send that trigger to Bill Springfield and have him tune it up the way you want it. Yes, it will cost you a little more $$, but you will have a very reliable and very smooth trigger. OR...you could buy a lower parts kit from Bill that will come with one of HIS triggers already in it. Bill Springfield Trigger and LPK OR...you could order a lower parts kit from ADCO, the White Oak LPK, which does not come with a trigger, for $40, then buy whatever trigger you want. Adco WHITE OAK LPK So there are a few options for you to consider. Rainier Tactical - AR Trigger Assemblies I'm sure there are lots more out there.

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 01-28-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added links

Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got my LPK and trigger from Bill Springfield, Spitty, and I am VERY happy with it. There is no comparison between his 2-stage trigger and triggers in other ARs that I've tested with a "regular" trigger.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I put a very light Jard single stage trigger in my DPMS and couldn't be happier. It's fully adjustable for takeup/creep/overtravel/and sear engagement. It breaks like a glass rod at a completely reliable about 2#. I can't imagine a 2 stage being better than that. If it was ME, I'd go with single stage.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm seriously looking at the Bill Springfield 4#....I like a firm trigger.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I went for a RRA 2 stage Nation Match. Ifn I don't like it I will swap it out for a Jewell.....

"Not Gonna Argue"

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've decided to go with a single stage for now. I can always change it later but right now I'd just like to get the parts here and really get started on the project. Hey tango, if you don't like that trigger let me know.