2 MOA or 4 MOA?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 2 MOA or 4 MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2 MOA or 4 MOA?

Looking into getting an aimpoint for my AR-15
which should i get guys?
2 MOA or 4 MOA?
2 MOA is obviously better for longer range but harder to find quicker in CQB
4 MOA is easier to spot and better for CQB but covers target at farther distances

what do you guys think?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Obviously, will depend on what you want to use the rifle FOR.

If your shots are typically at 200 yds, then the 2 MOA dot covers 4 inches, the 4MOA 8 inches. Human face is about 8 inches across.

Extend that to 500 yds- the 2 MOA dot covers 10 inches wide, the 4 MOA 20 inches wide. A bit bigger than the human body.

600 yds- get a scope.

If your purpose is quick target acquisition inside of 200 yds, I'd go with the 4, over that, the 2. However, that is just my opinion. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

I have tried both and can honestly say that the 2 moa dot is more useful. At close range quick shooting scenarious you won't notice the difference but at distance you will definitely see the difference when the larger dot obscures your target.

This is not conjecture. I went to a SWAT school that required shootong at 100 yards and I had, at the time a 6.5 moa Trijicon reflex. It completely covered the target and I ended up pulling it off and using open sights at that distance to qualify. Sometimes the math doesn't accurately reflect the reality since you can't take into account back lighting and ambient lighting which will have an effect on "washing out' the dot. I would choose the smaller dot every time. Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I have tried both and can honestly say that the 2 moa dot is more useful. At close range quick shooting scenarious you won't notice the difference but at distance you will definitely see the difference when the larger dot obscures your target.

This is not conjecture. I went to a SWAT school that required shootong at 100 yards and I had, at the time a 6.5 moa Trijicon reflex. It completely covered the target and I ended up pulling it off and using open sights at that distance to qualify. Sometimes the math doesn't accurately reflect the reality since you can't take into account back lighting and ambient lighting which will have an effect on "washing out' the dot. I would choose the smaller dot every time. Good luck.
I agree with this 100%. Go with the 2MOA.