1st Build Need Advice - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 1st Build Need Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsrt4 View Post
Shipping out today. Will be here Monday!
Good news! You're gonna love it. Well worth the wait!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #32

Hello. Well I am looking for a rear sight for my AR 15. I am wondering has anybody here ever used an HK style site? I have a standard A2 front sight. I am at a cross between the HK style sight and a rear fixed site from Troy Industries. Just wondering if any body has some advise or has used the HK style. Was trying to stay around 70.00 but I know the HK style sights are about double. And on another, are flip up sights dependable? I like the idea of fixed but down the road may want a Holo sight. Any and all ideas would help. This will complete my first AR, just looking for something accurate I like to target shoot at distances but like the idea of a defensive close range rifle too.

In Liberty, FiveF

Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #33

There is a local shop Black Dawn Guns, LLC that has their own lowers. Im going to see how the upper fits with it. If I Dont like it then im going with spikes from aimsurplus. I hear that tue newer spikes stripped lowers have flared magwells also.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #34

Hey Slows, I am in Sedalia. I got my AR from there.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #35

Yeah I went in and talked to one of the owners before I ordered anything and asked her alot of pretty dumb questions looking back on it now that im a little more educated. How do you like the rifle you purchased from them?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's why it's a good idea to read a book, before jumping right into something. You'll usually get a well rounded overview of a topic and then once you begin to familiarize yourself with hands on experience, certain details become apparent and you are usually more proficient in a shorter amount of time. saves you $$$ in most cases as well.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #37

I love it. The first day I went to the range it jammed every single round and had to be recharged. But that was not unexpected as they told me that the gas block would likely need to be adjusted because of the customization I did to it.

I brought it back in the next day and they took it out to their home and fired it and adjusted it. Also zero'd in the scope.

Brought it back and it worked perfect - 80 rounds no failures. Then I went to the Wolf ammo and found it does not like that stuff at all. So don't buy Wolf ammo and you will love it.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Urprising View Post
I love it. The first day I went to the range it jammed every single round and had to be recharged. But that was not unexpected as they told me that the gas block would likely need to be adjusted because of the customization I did to it.

I brought it back in the next day and they took it out to their home and fired it and adjusted it. Also zero'd in the scope.

Brought it back and it worked perfect - 80 rounds no failures. Then I went to the Wolf ammo and found it does not like that stuff at all. So don't buy Wolf ammo and you will love it.
How was it malfunctioning? Im a believer that all ARs should be able to fire the Russian stuff.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #39

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How was it malfunctioning? Im a believer that all ARs should be able to fire the Russian stuff.
I agree and also would like to hear more about what what happening, Colossal. My two AR builds and a buddy's factory Bushmaster love Wolf. Most of my shooting is with Russian since you can find it for 20 cents a round pretty easy.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #40

I had planned using wolf ammo after I get it broke in. I feel that it should be able to shoot any brand I put in it. What did you change that caused it to jam?

Update bcg arrived friday and the gun show was a waste of time.