1st Build Need Advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 1st Build Need Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st Build Need Advice

Well I finally have some extra money for another toy and I have always wanted an AR so now it the time. I think I pretty much have everything planned out but I would like you all to look over my list and please chime in with any advice.

Complete upper from Smartgunner.com $525 is a pretty good deal I think.
16" CHF with a 14" AR15 Lite rail, low pro gas block standard FH for now.
(what is the difference b/t a M4 and a Govt profile barrel? Also should I go for the mid length gas system?)

BCG I am undecided should I go with a DD so it will match the barrel?

Spikes stripped lower

Palmetto Armory LPK MOE grip and trigger guard - $55

MAGPUL CTR Stock and buffer tube assembly - $99
(is the spikes lower Commercial or Mil-Spec?)

Charge rod - undecided

That should cover the basics after that Ill get a Magpul AFG, the I figure Ill throw some Bushnel scope on, I found out the other day I can get Bushnel products for the wholesale price

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Looks good to me. You left off the Bayonet.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forget the bayonett, where is the grenade launcher?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Remember to refer to the Chart.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #5

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Looks like an excellent build, Slowsrt4! I would recommend midlength and that would eliminate the M4 barrel (that has the M203 notch). A government profile barrel is fairly lightweight because it's narrow under the rail/handguard - not like an HBAR that is 0.75" all the way, it's more like 0.625" underneath then may widen back to 0.75" at the gas block.

DD makes an excellent BCG, I have one and it's finely made and thoroughly milspec.

Spikes makes a nice lower and its receiver extension should be milspec size.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #6

Haha im thinking a bayonet launcher lol.

I have been looking around researching on different sites I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something obvious. I'm ordering the upper next week :-)

Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsrt4 View Post
Haha im thinking a bayonet launcher lol.

I have been looking around researching on different sites I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something obvious. I'm ordering the upper next week :-)
No need to go anywhere else. Check out the Stickys.
There are very knowledgeable AR people here, that are very willing to help.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Looks like an excellent build, Slowsrt4! I would recommend midlength and that would eliminate the M4 barrel (that has the M203 notch). A government profile barrel is fairly lightweight because it's narrow under the rail/handguard - not like an HBAR that is 0.75" all the way, it's more like 0.625" underneath then may widen back to 0.75" at the gas block.

DD makes an excellent BCG, I have one and it's finely made and thoroughly milspec.

Spikes makes a nice lower and its receiver extension should be milspec size.
Thanks for the info. I think im going to go with the govt profile with the mid length gas system and I will go ahead and order the DD BCG from smart gunner because he price is right ($125) and it looks like they are sold out in the daniel defense website.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #9

Well ordered my upper from smartgunner.com they are changing prices in january im sure they will be raising them.

I went with the mid length gas system. What are your opinions on this system?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Everyone has good feedback from smartgunner, though I have not personally used them. I would assume based on what I have read that you will be getting a good, well put together unit though. Haven't heard anyone reporting a real fisting from those folks, so I would imagine they will do you right.

Mid length gas system?

No real opinion to be honest. It will work just fine, though it will be VERY SLIGHTLY less accurate than a full length system. Your BCG/Upper Receiver Action is going to get a bit dirtier when shooting because the gas that is being collected is closer to the chamber where the round goes off. More powder has yet to completely vaporize and so you will get a bit more crud in your upper action.

Is this a real concern?

If you were shooting 10,000 rounds a week in a combat situation, yes. It would be a concern. If you are going to be shooting 200 rounds every other weekend and plan on doing regular maint on the weapon, no. It will never effect you.

One recommendation I would add to your cleaning procedure would be to use the pipe cleaner in your gas tube more often than what folks would consider "normal" just to keep the amount of build up down.

Once again, it's not a real concern for the "average" type shooter, but it is a good maintenance policy.

All in all I think you have assembled a great stick and it should perform well as long as Mr. Murphy doesn't sneak by. Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing some finished pictures and a range report telling us how she worked for you.

JD