1st AR15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 1st AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st AR15

I'm looking at getting my first AR15. Any thoughts on manufacturer. Should I buy a name brand, assemble one or buy from a dealer. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Read this ..
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

At a minimum purchase a complete upper and lower then pin them together.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
At a minimum purchase a complete upper and lower then pin them together.
Listen to Mikey, that'll save you 11%
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Building a lower is EASY, fun, and you gain more knowledge of how the rifle works. Uppers are more complicated and require more specialized tools (not many, but things like a torque wrench, vice, vice blocks, and lining up the gas port can lead to problems of not done right). A lot of people start by building their lower and strapping a completed upper to it.

IMO buying the parts and assembling saves you $$$, you get exactly what you want, and it's a fun time (until you lose your first takedown pin detent spring).

Buying name brand is good, especially of your buying their parts (do research, some name brands arent so hot) to build yourself. Look in to BCM if your budget allows, they are EXCELLENT. If you need to shave a few hundred off, look at Spikes Tactical or Palmetto State Armory. Both are also very high quality and they come with all the bells and whistles that the higher end comes with, but they batch test instead of individual test.

Buying premade incurs a more taxes and generally a higher markup than it would cost to buy a set of roll pin punches. Not recommended unless you has to question which end of the hammer you use.

If you are on a VERY strict budget and just HAVE to buy an AR15 now, then you can build complete rifles for sub-600 as well. Stay away from polymer lowers for the time being, they are still not as good as they should be and while the price is tempting, you are setting yourself up for failure if you go in to it expecting the rifle to perform like everyone elses. FWIW if you are in this category i can't suggest strongly enough that you wait and save up a bit and go with, at MINIMUM, PSA or Spikes. A PSA barebones rifle kit is really inexpensive and is a very large step up from rifles like the S&W Sport or a DPMS/Olympic Arms. Not saying those rifles won't work, not saying they are crap, I'm simply stating that for a LITTLE extra you can purchase from a manufacturer who has a reputation of putting out less "lemons" as well as get the features such as chrome lining and high pressure/magnetic particle inspection testing that you would otherwise miss out on.

Remember,

Buy cheap, buy twice.

A rifle is not something that you want to fail.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Todd_; 05-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Listen to Mikey, that'll save you 11%
Nice write-up Tikki. Best I have ever seen.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
Building a lower is EASY, fun, and you gain more knowledge of how the rifle works.
Until a rebel spring or detent puts an eye out or goes missing

Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

Until a rebel spring or detent puts an eye out or goes missing
Aint that the damned truth. My build I spent over an HOUR looking for the damn spring I lost.... Sadly, I was unaware of the plastic bag trick.

Found the spring hiding under the fcking stove, 20+ feet away.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

No don't listen to Mike! j/k haven't disagreed with Mike since the AK kid so I had to throw it out there!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
Aint that the damned truth. My build I spent over an HOUR looking for the damn spring I lost.... Sadly, I was unaware of the plastic bag trick.

Found the spring hiding under the fcking stove, 20+ feet away.
My buddy was putting his together and BOIIINNNNGGGG , ting ting ting , looked for 20 min and finally got another spring out for him , shut my garage door and out it fell when the door was coming down . whats the chances of find it there in a 28X36 garage , figured it rolled into one of the concrete cuts and was forever gone

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.