Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   1st AR15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/1st-ar15-65157/)

runinman 05-25-2012 10:59 PM

1st AR15

I'm looking at getting my first AR15. Any thoughts on manufacturer. Should I buy a name brand, assemble one or buy from a dealer. Thanks.

purehavoc 05-29-2012 04:41 PM

Read this ..
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

MikeJK 05-30-2012 03:55 AM

At a minimum purchase a complete upper and lower then pin them together.

AgentTikki 05-30-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 818725)
At a minimum purchase a complete upper and lower then pin them together.

Listen to Mikey, that'll save you 11%

Todd_ 05-30-2012 06:45 PM

Building a lower is EASY, fun, and you gain more knowledge of how the rifle works. Uppers are more complicated and require more specialized tools (not many, but things like a torque wrench, vice, vice blocks, and lining up the gas port can lead to problems of not done right). A lot of people start by building their lower and strapping a completed upper to it.

IMO buying the parts and assembling saves you $$$, you get exactly what you want, and it's a fun time (until you lose your first takedown pin detent spring).

Buying name brand is good, especially of your buying their parts (do research, some name brands arent so hot) to build yourself. Look in to BCM if your budget allows, they are EXCELLENT. If you need to shave a few hundred off, look at Spikes Tactical or Palmetto State Armory. Both are also very high quality and they come with all the bells and whistles that the higher end comes with, but they batch test instead of individual test.

Buying premade incurs a more taxes and generally a higher markup than it would cost to buy a set of roll pin punches. Not recommended unless you has to question which end of the hammer you use.

If you are on a VERY strict budget and just HAVE to buy an AR15 now, then you can build complete rifles for sub-600 as well. Stay away from polymer lowers for the time being, they are still not as good as they should be and while the price is tempting, you are setting yourself up for failure if you go in to it expecting the rifle to perform like everyone elses. FWIW if you are in this category i can't suggest strongly enough that you wait and save up a bit and go with, at MINIMUM, PSA or Spikes. A PSA barebones rifle kit is really inexpensive and is a very large step up from rifles like the S&W Sport or a DPMS/Olympic Arms. Not saying those rifles won't work, not saying they are crap, I'm simply stating that for a LITTLE extra you can purchase from a manufacturer who has a reputation of putting out less "lemons" as well as get the features such as chrome lining and high pressure/magnetic particle inspection testing that you would otherwise miss out on.

Remember,

Buy cheap, buy twice.

A rifle is not something that you want to fail.

Shoobee 05-30-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 818846)
Listen to Mikey, that'll save you 11%

Nice write-up Tikki. Best I have ever seen.

MikeJK 05-30-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd_ (Post 819257)
Building a lower is EASY, fun, and you gain more knowledge of how the rifle works.

Until a rebel spring or detent puts an eye out or goes missing :D

Todd_ 05-30-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK

Until a rebel spring or detent puts an eye out or goes missing :D

Aint that the damned truth. My build I spent over an HOUR looking for the damn spring I lost.... Sadly, I was unaware of the plastic bag trick.

Found the spring hiding under the fcking stove, 20+ feet away.

silverado113 05-30-2012 07:28 PM

No don't listen to Mike! ;) j/k haven't disagreed with Mike since the AK kid so I had to throw it out there!

purehavoc 05-30-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd_ (Post 819305)
Aint that the damned truth. My build I spent over an HOUR looking for the damn spring I lost.... Sadly, I was unaware of the plastic bag trick.

Found the spring hiding under the fcking stove, 20+ feet away.

My buddy was putting his together and BOIIINNNNGGGG , ting ting ting , looked for 20 min and finally got another spring out for him , shut my garage door and out it fell when the door was coming down . :eek: whats the chances of find it there in a 28X36 garage , figured it rolled into one of the concrete cuts and was forever gone