1st AR-15: DDM4V7 vs Core15 TAC II M4 FDE
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 1st AR-15: DDM4V7 vs Core15 TAC II M4 FDE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1st AR-15: DDM4V7 vs Core15 TAC II M4 FDE

Hey all,

I have been reading up on AR-15's for a while and am now in the market for my 1st. I've narrowed down my selection to 2 platforms that I like. Both appear to be similar rifles and I have found them at a similar price point (not enough difference for me to care). I'll list the PROS of each below (according to my thinking).

The Daniel Defense M4 V7 (no sights)

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-no-sights.html

+ Daniel Defense name

+ I really like their slick Modular Float Rail 12.0

+ Comes with Magpul Stock (grip?, magazine?)

The Core15 TAC II M4 FDE CERAKOTE

http://core15rifles.com/core15-tac-ii-m4-rifle-fde-cerakote.html

+ I like the FDE coloring

+ Comes with Magpul Stock, Pistol Grip, P-Mag

+ What appears to be an awesome Lifetime Warranty

+ Unloaded weight is 5.9 lbs (vs the 6.4 lbs for the DD)

They both seem to have the same basic "features":

+ chrome line 4150 CMV govt profile barrel

+ low profile gas block

+ flash hider

+ M4 feed ramp

+ flat top

The other rifle I'm considering is the Spike's Tactical ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE w/ 13.2" SAR but it is my 3rd choice

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/ss/st15-16midlength-le-w132-sar-p-812.html

Does anyone have an feedback on the DD vs the CORE15? Anything I'm not considering? My favorite part of the DD is the Slick Rail which I think I could buy separately for the CORE15. The only thing about the CORE15 is that I wasn't familiar with the brand until recently but I've read some good things.

Thanks,
Sean

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I have a DD upper in the M4V3 LW format and am impressed. Don't know much about the Core but seriously doubt it compares well with DD. And if the price is close, then it's a no brainer for me. BCM would be worth comparing too and might save you a little $. Spikes and PSA aren't bad choices at all if you want a lower price point. I just don't see paying DD money for the Core.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Between those two I would choose the Daniel Defense. Let me throw another option out there for you. How about an Argyle Armoring 5.56B?

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Never heard of Argyle but I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Sean

Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have a DD upper in the M4V3 LW format and am impressed. Don't know much about the Core but seriously doubt it compares well with DD. And if the price is close, then it's a no brainer for me. BCM would be worth comparing too and might save you a little $. Spikes and PSA aren't bad choices at all if you want a lower price point. I just don't see paying DD money for the Core.
DD is a proven top tier AR-15 of the utmost quality, can't beat them shot a few and they really are top notch rifles.

But Core 15 actually matches up quite well with DD in specs, I have read up on Core quite a bit as I was considering buying one myself, I was very surprised myself to see its specs are damn near identical to most top tier AR companies.

Seems like Core makes very solid rifles held one the other day at a lgs and was very impressed (wish ive shot one) was very light and fit and finish were outstanding there were a lot of other rifles on the shelf next to it but the finish alone made it stand out more then the others.

Think they are just new to the game so not much is known about them yet (not enough FH experience), they may be a company that is considered top tier in the near future with the specs of their rifles, IMHO

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 10-31-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, people that have forgotten more than I'll ever know about ARs give DD some respect for their quality. That means something if you want the best. Thinking of the folks at m4carbine.net

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."

ROBERT E. HOWARD

Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a DDV7 and LMT CQB MRP both in 5.56 and love both of them. I bought the DDV7 for the wife after she hefted my LMT and said it weighed as much as my Armalite AR10. Darn is she wasn't right but then again my LMT has a Aimpoint M2, Aimpoint 3X multiplier, Surefire X400 light/laser, Gemtech G5, and a couple other goodies. Not exactly the best rifle for a 100 pound 55 year old woman to grab on the spur of the moment to "get into the fight" so to speak.

So I got her the V7 and put some Troy folding battlesights (front with a tritium insert) and she loves it. She wants it for around the house persuasion of uninvited lowlifes should the need arise. She likes the Winchester Defender 12 gauge but just thinks a black rifles says much more when necessary and it can speak 30 times. Hard to argue with that logic and I can't find anything at all about the DD that isn't first class. Don't know about Core15 products but for my money, DD and LMT make AR's that are hard to turn your nose up at. But then again, I LOVE my Armalite AR10 and lots of folks poo-poo those. To each his own.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

No contest DD wins.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Advantage Daniel Defense. The name alone is probably worth a couple hundred bucks more if you decide to sell it. The midlength gas system and handguard are significant upgrades as well in my opinion. Their warranty/customer service is excellent.

The Core15 in question does look to be a well put together rifle. Even though I'm a DD homer, it's a pretty close call if only the Core were a midlength. I don't know much about their barrels, but very good specs throughout...arguably better in some cases. The claimed sub-6lb weight seems a little fishy with an ACS stock and all.

Nothing wrong with either. Get what you'll like. See if you can get the Core15 you want with midlength gas, and the 1:8 twist barrel. IMO that would be the ideal setup, and push it ahead of the DD considering your color preferences.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and opinions everyone.

I went with the DDM4V7. Placed the order today!

Really looking forward to getting it.

Thanks,
Sean