Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 16" or 20" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
Sitting at a pick nick table with my back to the table and left foot on the seat, so stiff leg out and left knee for an arm rest, stable but tiring.
Okay! I'm impressed all over again!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #22

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"Vincine
Okay! I'm impressed all over again! "

Shouldn't be. I'm so old and stiff, sometimes in the morning I am a bench vise.

All you need to do is practice, practice and them play a little before you practice some more.

I am retired so, unless it is frigid or an oven, all I have to do is load, shoot, watch the grand kids (all girls but the 7 year old like to help load) and go to Lodge (Past Master, current & Past High Priest Royal Arch Chapter, current & Past Master Cryptic Council, Commander Knights Templar Commandry York Rite and Sec/Treas of Bates County Scottish Rite Valley of Kansas City). The rest of the time I sit and read. As my range is 2 car lengths from my garage door, I shoot a lot. And then, I have been shooting for 55 plus years, a big part of that was on your dime.

Life is short, so go shoot this afternoon.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think if you forget about the human behind the trigger and just consider the ballistics for a minute you'll find that for all practicle puroses a 16" barrel is as long as you need for the 5.56/.223. A 55 or 62 grain bullet gets going about 2800fps out of a 16", which is the same as a .308. So out to about 300 yards it's just as accurate, after that it starts losing energy a lot faster than a .308 cause it's lighter and air's a lot thicker than most people give it credit for. It's all about how much time gravity has to effect it. That's why you'd consider going with the 20" barrel, for shooting past 300 yards. That extra 300 fps or so out of the muzzle will help a lot at extended ranges and obviously hits harder too. Of course, like previously commented there's ergonomics to consider also. It's really a tough decision. That's why I quit losing sleep over it and went with an 18" barrel lol.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #24
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsully85 View Post
I think if you forget about the human behind the trigger and just consider the ballistics for a minute you'll find that for all practicle puroses a 16" barrel is as long as you need for the 5.56/.223. . .(snip) . . That's why I quit losing sleep over it and went with an 18" barrel lol.
This makes sense, thanks.