16" or 20" barrel? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

16" or 20" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Ah, right, I forgot about open sights.

Really? Good to know, thanks.
20" a2 style rifles built for service rifle matches are real tack drivers. Ive got a rra a2 national match that is sub moa with open sights off a rest. They also make them with removable sights forr using an optic. I kinda wish i had gone the a4 route.

Lots of match types get lead weights to put under the handguards to increase the weight for unsupported shooting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
Don't put too much emphasis on accuracy claims by manufacturers. Even inexpensive barrels are capable of more accuracy than most shooters can deliver. IMO, accuracy will be dependent on the shooter, ammo, trigger, sights, and barrel in that order.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"Im looking at a couple of RRAs 5.56/.223s to punch paper out to 300 yards in the spring.

Both have heavy chrome molly barrels with 1:8 twists and promise .75 MOA. One is a 16and 7 pounds, the other is 20 and 8.4 pounds. All other things being equal, what does an extra 4 get me marksmanship wise, if anything?"

I have a RRA with 20inch SS Bull barrel. I love the accuracy. I hate the weight.
For target use only, go with the longest barrel just for the small increase in velocity. You want to punch paper at 300 yards.
I also have a 16 incher to carry around, much nicer to tote about.

This is what I got at 100 yards wobbling about, I have only a scope. I got tired holding all of the weight up and this was with my junk/play loads.

image070811small.jpg

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK

Old 11-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #14

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Whoa! That's what I'm talking about. This was the 20" right? What does the 16" look like?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
IMO, accuracy will be dependent on the shooter, ammo, trigger, sights, and barrel in that order.
I've taken notes, thanks.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
This is what I got at 100 yards wobbling about, I have only a scope. I got tired holding all of the weight up and this was with my junk/play loads.
Holy crap!! You shot that ......standing...handheld..at 100yds? All 20 rounds. No benchrest? That is pretty damn impressive shooting. Yikes!!

What riflescope and mount are you using?

Nice shooting.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #17

Actual I was sitting. Had three major surgeries last year and I don't stand long very well. And my range is a measured 95 yards, I could do a full 100 but that would put me under my metal car port and the reverberations between the asphalt and the metal is no fun.

The Mega/Rock is a 20 inch RRA upper set on a Mega lower with a Bill Springfield 3 lb trigger group. The scope is a Hawke Endurance 30X30 Plex 3.5-10X50 scope. The 'Red Dot' was removed as having no use.
I seldom pull the scope to the full 10X and take off my glasses when I shoot with a scope. I know, but it makes scene for me.

100_2845.jpg

My 16 incher is a 1970's vintage AR-180 that I carried in patrol cars for years and years. It is short range use only but very handy.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh man that makes me feel a bit better oldpapps. I figured since you said you were wobbling and getting tired holding up the weight that you were standing.

Now, when you say you were sitting...you were using a benchrest right?

Either way, that is very impressive shooting. I have been away from rifles since I was in the military in 1972, but in the two times out so far, with my new AR, I've managed to shoot a few tight-ish 3 round groups in the bull at 100yds. But the stock trigger is not conducive for that kind of accuracy, on a consistent basis.Hoping the Geissele trigger will help.

But 20 rounds.......yikes! You have that rifle down pat. Too bad about the wind puffin' up and blowing those two rounds out the square...... and the bright sun blinding you for a second making you pull on that one a tickle low.

I hope the recovery from the surgeries is going well oldpapp. All the best with that. I can relate somewhat, 4 major spine surgeries in the last four years. I'm good to go strength wise, I just don't fold up as well as I used to.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Oh man that makes me feel a bit better [B]I figured since you said you were wobbling and getting tired holding up the weight that you were standing.
Yeah, me too. .........

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #20

"Fumbles
Now, when you say you were sitting...you were using a benchrest...?"

Sitting at a pick nick table with my back to the table and left foot on the seat, so stiff leg out and left knee for an arm rest, stable but tiring.

Look at Bill Springfield's trigger work. He is listed on the internet. I'm sold on his work, granted it takes a touch of fitting to get it installed. But then, I have absolutely no over travel.

The target doesn't care about excuses, so I don't either. This was just one of those groupings that came together. I was more surprised with how well my junk/play loads held together. Military pulled 55 grain FMCs stuck in mixed military brass.

Two out of three surgeries went great. May have to have some more belly taken out later (not if I can help it). Worst part is I'm not allowed to drive my tractor any! Better part is I get to ride the 4wheeler to my target area. Nuff of this.

My next build is to be a 16 inch, plain jane with a tight twist for heavier pills. Most likely will go with a RRA upper and build a lower from a stripped Mega.

Enjoy and be safe.

OSOK