Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > $1500 for an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Sorry bro, I know this isn't what you are asking but just my .02. If you build it you can get way more for your money and have a crap load of fun.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1985 View Post
Sorry bro, I know this isn't what you are asking but just my .02. If you build it you can get way more for your money and have a crap load of fun.
I mostly agree.

If you know what you want (which can be difficult with limited AR experience), building is ideal in the $700-1500 range. You can get everything you want at the right price, but you have to be well versed with regard to the products/materials/companies in question. Generally you won't go wrong with BCM or PSA for builds, and I also like a lot of the uppers available through AIM Surplus.

Many newbies see building as an imposing undertaking (it's not), which is understandable. If you're determined not to build, I think Daniel Defense ($1200-1500) and PSA ($600-1100) are really tough to beat at their respective price points. I really don't think anything else is even on the radar.

Building can often save you a few bucks. More than anything else, you gain an appreciation for how your gun works. You'll probably have a better comprehension of all the details in question and will gain a great deal of confidence that you can quickly remedy any minor function issues that may emerge. This is the real value in building...personal preference, knowledge, confidence. And it's super easy, provided you know what you want.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #33

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

SOOOOOOOO much to choose from out there based on your intended usage . Personally I would build it myself Im not big into precision ARs as I have target bolt action rifles to do that with . So when Im looking to build a AR I look at it as a battle rifle . If you build it you get exactly what you want and dont have to replace something later that came as a factory piece that you may not want or even like on the rifle . a complete Daniel Defense is going to be a bit out of your $1200 intended range of just the rifle .
In that intended range I would take a look at a
Spikes Tactical $1150 complete rifle https://www.primaryarms.com/Spikes-Tactical-14-5-Mid-Length-Lightweight-LE-w-p/str5050-mls.htm ,
BCM Model 0 $1089 http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/bravo-company-model-rifle-760121-nato-stock-finish-length-p-34184.html
Now if you dont mind building the lower and as stated above its really very simple it can be done in that less than $700 -$750 range for the complete rifle which leaves you alot of money for options like optics, magazines and plenty of ammo which you can never have enough of
PSA has numerous build kits . Here are a few of my favorites
Palmetto state armory
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/psa-16-chf-mid-length-ultra-lightweight-premium-rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-hammer-forged-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-sqr-15-premium-blemished-ready-for-duty-with-bcg-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/16-m4a1-chrome-lined-mp-tested-rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/psa-16-chf-m4a1-ss12g2-premium-rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ap-lower-pictogram.html

PSA had blemished lowers for $59 which was a steal but they sold out yesterday . Be patient they will come back in stock and 99% of the people that buy a blem lower dont know why they are blems , you cant tell any difference between it and a regular lower , its usually a discoloration of anodizing inside the the receiver or a tiny scuff some where not noticable .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-23-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Havoc! You got a link for PSA blemished lowers?

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 313 Posts

Delta just go to their website on the first page can't miss it lol

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b
Delta just go to their website on the first page can't miss it lol
Filing this information away for later....

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #37

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

LMT or Bushmaster is hard to beat.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
LMT or Bushmaster is hard to beat.
Curious what is it about Bushmaster that is hard to beat?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 91 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

For 1300 you may be able to get a better value than a Bushmaster. Sone people like to knock on Bushmaster but IMO they are getting a bad wrap. Just like any other product that is bought then produced by another company people tend to automatically expect a drop in quality. A couple of people may happen to get one that has slipped through the cracks which would just as likely have slipped through the cracks at any company and assume all of them will be like that because its a new company. Also every new production of any product is going to have a learning curve and some bugs to work out at first. I think they have been doing it long enough now that they are putting out a good product. I have a BM and PSA and the BM has eaten everything I have put through it, steel included. My PSA doesnt take some rounds quite as well.
All that said, you can get a higher quality rifle for 1300. The BM is a great rifle in its class at its price point but 1300 is a totally different price point and will get you more rifle. I am seeing some AWESOME deals at Rock River Arms and 1300 will get you one of their higher end rifles. You would not believe the prices in their latest catalog.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 349 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 606

For $1300 you can get a fully loaded billet (better than forged) Argyle Armoring AR-15 with free float quad rail, flip up sights, magazine, carrying case, and full magpul furniture.

Heck, for $1500 you can get an Argyle Armoring AR-15 with an EOTech 512.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

LoveJoyz Likes This