Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   $1500 for an AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/1500-ar-98505/)

Baxter 10-10-2013 07:25 PM

$1500 for an AR

I have $1500 to spend and would like to leave around $300 for ammo. So in the $1200 range what AR would you guys go for built or out the box. Colt LE 6920 M4 carbine is in the lead at the moment. what you guys think?

JonM 10-10-2013 07:29 PM

bravo company then colt then rra for shtf

rra then bravo company then colt for target shooting

i lean brav company and rra a little over colt simply because the CS if there is a problem is a bit faster than colt. colt just has a little longer process but still great service. bravo company i havent heard of anyone needing their gun there for more than a week week and a half depending on mail times.

watchjonbeep 10-11-2013 04:01 AM

Don't forget armalite!!!

JonM 10-11-2013 04:37 AM

Armalight is not the original armalight nothing at all similar other than the name.

They have had some spotty quality issues that make me leary of them over the years.

AgentTikki 10-11-2013 05:33 AM

$1300 is a GREAT budget........Something along the lines of a 6920, I'd look at the BCM, DD, LMT, in addition to the Colt that's a fearsome 4.

sweeper22 10-11-2013 09:26 AM

Most versatile, do-it-all $1200-1500 setup...

I'll be building that rifle, primarily through BCM and/or PSA. It'll be a 14.5-16" barrel/1:7 or 1:8 twist/midlength gas, M16 C158 BCG, BCM Gunfighter CH, Magpul stock/grip/trigger guard and maybe even handguard...and the LPK will be bought at PSA, as a PSA/Magpul LBK. At your price I'm adding flip sights and a decent red dot. That can be Vortex, but it can also be Aimpoint if you jump on the right PSA package.

BCM and PSA are where I'd start. But there are other fine options...here's an excellent complete upper with a nice handguard for $699.

For a complete rifle, it's PSA, Daniel Defense, or 'bust' in my opinion.

GTX63 10-11-2013 01:12 PM

The Colt or the Rock River if you are talking about a general purpose shooter/defense rifle. Both of mine were $1100 or less, which would leave you extra $ for more/higher quality ammo.

Baxter 10-11-2013 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

bluez 10-11-2013 03:51 PM

Or push it down to 1000-1100 for the gun which will give you great RRA and BCM midlenghts ( I am no tincluding colts because w/ a 16 inch barrrel I want a midlenght gas system) then you can spend money on Ammo AND optic :)

Sniper03 10-11-2013 04:19 PM

I would go with Rock River, Stag, Daniel Defense or LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool no doubt. The truth of the matter Colt is not even building their own guns anymore. They are subcontracted. Not saying they are bad guns. In fact probably better is some cases. Since as the years passed their quality also declined due to mass production. But there is certainly nothing wrong with building a rifle from good quality parts from a very reliable and proven companies. However it is a sure thing with the ones mentioned above. One of the reasons I would probably choose the Rock River Rifles is due to obviously their reputation quality and reliability. And also the fact that some of their standard models come with options as a part of their standard price at no optional cost. Like the Entry Tactical or Elite CAR A-4 for example which comes standard with the RRA Two Stage National Match Trigger, RRA/Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Star Selector Switch, M-4 Handguards on the Tactical, Side Sling Swivels and the limited lifetime warranty on all factory parts and labor. And they are built at a bench by a trained armorer not an assembly line process. My philosophy is you get what you pay for! And since it may be your first and important purchase and something that will last for years of service and pleasure I do not believe in rolling the dice! ;) Good Luck on your selection there are several good rifles to choose from and a good reference is the guys and gals here on the Forum.:)