14.5 or 16? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 14.5 or 16?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
So im sure this is another question that may have already been beat to death but couldnt find anything on it when searching. Trying to decide between 14.5 and 16 upper, I want a middy, I will be getting it pinned with something, not sure what though. Is there a difference? Is it worth extra money? Opinions please!
Since you didn't mention NFA or a tax stamp I am assuming that you do not intend to build a SBR, in which case your 14.5" upper will be a 16" upper anyway, with a 1.5" pinned brake or flash hider. Given the permanency of pinning and the inconvenience of changing out the rail or gas block I would suggest a 16". There are pros and cons to the 14.5" over the 16" but they are irrelevant here. One thing though, a mid length gas system (9") on a 14.5" barrel could be problamatic due to the shorter dwell time. In short, the time between the bullet passing the gas port, which starts the recoil cycle, and exiting the barrel, which releases the inner barrel gas pressure, is extremely short. This could lead to poor cycling and timing isssues.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #12

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
I would only be pinning if I got 14.5 sinceI don't feel like going through all the paperwork I'm in Georgia.
Personally I think it's a slam dunk then, 16" with a screw on MD. And if you haven't decided yet, just go with the A2 flash hider to start out. Later if you want something else it's an easy swap.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great info thanks guys didnt realize about the middy on a 14.5 potentially being a problem but I see it now BCM even says you have to run milspec ammo at all times. Also didnt think about changing rails and what not. So looks like the smart thing for me to do is just stick with a 16 like I had originally planned. Thank you for bringing all of this to my attention this is why I love this forum and the people on it!