14.5 or 16?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 14.5 or 16?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 14.5 or 16?

So im sure this is another question that may have already been beat to death but couldnt find anything on it when searching. Trying to decide between 14.5 and 16 upper, I want a middy, I will be getting it pinned with something, not sure what though. Is there a difference? Is it worth extra money? Opinions please!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

What kind of rail system do you plan on?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
What kind of rail system do you plan on?
Either Troy 11 or DD omega 9.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

You have to be sure which muzzle device you want before pinning!

Curious, why do you need to pin it, ban state? If you must pin, then either 14.5" or 16 is ok, as long as the total barrel length is > 16". If you're not in a ban state I'd go with a 16" barrel and screw on the muzzle device. Also midlength gas is a little more reliable with lighter loads in a 16" barrel (excluding MD).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-16-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
So im sure this is another question that may have already been beat to death but couldnt find anything on it when searching. Trying to decide between 14.5 and 16 upper, I want a middy, I will be getting it pinned with something, not sure what though. Is there a difference? Is it worth extra money? Opinions please!
i don't know about advantages or disadvantages, but the barrel length has to be at least 16" to be legal. if you use an upper with a 14.5" barrel you have to have a flash hider or muzzle brake that brings it to at least 16" and it will have to be pinned and welded to be legal. if the flash hider or muzzle brake are removeable, then it illegal unless registered as a SBR.

the barrel length will give or take some muzzle velocity. but an inch and a half isn't probably going to make much difference unless you clock it with a chronograph. shorter barrel might be a tad louder too.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #6

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Get the 14 then. Heres what the 12 dd looks like with a 16

forumrunner_20120716_003307.jpg

Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Curious, why do you need to pin it, ban state? If you must pin, then either 14.5" or 16 is ok, as long as the total barrel length is > 16". If you're not in a ban state I'd go with a 16" barrel and screw on the muzzle device.
+1. Yes.. only 1.5" difference without permanently attached. Can change to any muzzle devices in the future.. if u change your mind.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Powell,

Unless you just want one I do not think it is worth the extra money to purchase a more expensive Flash Hider or Compensator like the VORTEX to achieve the desired length and then have it pinned and brazed. All that to end up with an barrel about 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter than the standard barrel since as you know it must be at least 16" by law unless it will be a class III SBR. with Tax requirements. And the other issue is you want a Midlength which is my personal preference due to the fact you have an additional inch and almost 3/4 extra mounting surface if utilizing a free float quad rail for accessories. And a longer sight radius which is good when using iron sights.
Good Luck on your selection. But bottom line buy what you like best either 14.5 plus the comp or flash hider but the Mid is a great choice!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Curious, why do you need to pin it, ban state? If you must pin, then either 14.5" or 16 is ok, as long as the total barrel length is > 16". If you're not in a ban state I'd go with a 16" barrel and screw on the muzzle device. Also midlength gas is a little more reliable with lighter loads in a 16" barrel (excluding MD).
I would only be pinning if I got 14.5 sinceI don't feel like going through all the paperwork I'm in Georgia.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk

+1. Yes.. only 1.5" difference without permanently attached. Can change to any muzzle devices in the future.. if u change your mind.
I was thinking the same thing I just hate that most muzzle devices are quite long.....stupid law. It would be nice to have a 14.5 and be able to change!