100 yds open sights...HELP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 100 yds open sights...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 100 yds open sights...HELP

I dont think I'm going to be a marksman with these iron sights. Question? Is this acceptable shooting? AND Do you think I should go ONE CLICK down on my front post based on the 10 shot distribution? I was just trying to aim at the center of the target but at 100 yards I cant see the bullseye let alone be pinpoint accurate at that distance with open sights. Any advice would be helpful.

007.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Liked 1809 Times on 1008 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

I am guessing from the end of the barrel in the pic you are shooting an AR. I know people that could not hit that piece of paper at all from 100 yards with open sights. When you see people shooting 2 inch groups at distances like that they are using scopes and sand bags. When I was in the army I was suprised how many people couldn't hit a full sized sillouhette at that range.

You would fit right in with the shooters I know. If you plan on shooting the next olypics you need more practice. Otherwise you look fine to me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First move it in to 50 yards and start there shooting a lot at 50 yard and get to a point where you can create decent groups weather they are 1" or 6". From the looks of that target you are all over the place I wouldn't move anything until you get a little better at sighting. You may be jerking the trigger who knows take your time and if you need to shoot 1 or 2 shots and then close your eyes for a short time to rest them then open and shoot 1 or 2 more times. Work on your marksmanship before adjusting your sights all that much.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1841 Times on 1312 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Default Iron Sights

Hello, And welcome To The Best Dang Gun Forum To Hit The Net. From The Looks Of Your Target Drop Down One Notch on Your Rear Sight, Try Again. At 100 yds. Go with a White Target and Black Circle 3'' in dia. Good shootin! Keep at it. By the way what are you shooting? Wills in da Swamp in La.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with tango, there isn't a distinct group and until you get a grouping you really don't know how to adjust your sights.

Also, adjusting your front sight is a HUGE adjustment. Once you get a good group the front sight should only be changed when a serious move is needed. If you move your front sight down that will raise your impact point, move the rear sight down and you'll lower it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #6

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

what brand or type of ammo are you using?looks like wolf ammo to meit would still be kill shots...if you were shooting at someone

Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #7

Default 100 yds open sights

Shooting a cmmg bargain bin 16" midlength(double star lower) with fiocchi 55 gr fmj. The other is a bargain bin 18" rifle lenght with a cheap red dot that my 14 year old is learning to shoot. I think I'll go back to the 50 yard line and try grouping again. If trigger pull was an issue I think I would be PULLING RIGHT being that I am a right handed shooter.....there wasn't mush more than 4" of variance at 100yds so I am pleased with that. Has anyone tried filing the front post down to a POINT?....at least then the thing wouldn't be so wide at the top @ 100. Thanks for the comments made and any future ones received. Its great I can go somewhere to get an array of seasoned advice. My advice: SHOOT SOME AMMO but HOARD SOME TOO!

006.jpg  

Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

One thing I've found, when shooting groups with iron sights, it helps to have a consistent aiming point so you can get repeatable sight alignment.
At 100yards I would like to have a target with a large black center at least 6" diameter, 10" would be even better to get a repeatable 6 o'clock sight picture.
you can go buy targets or even spray paint a paper plate black.

Then adjust your sights to give your groups the elevation you desire up from the bottom edge of the target.
my .02

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

taken from:
Zero and M16A2 Rifle (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

go there for the images with text on how a basic battle sight is done for a standard m16 series. this might give you better idea. open sights are more for combat rather than competition. with proper technique a good rifle person can give scope users some competition at shorter ranges

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm with Tango that you should start a little closer. I went through the same thing with my Bargan Bin Double Star (Model Star 15) rifle. After I got sopem, first hand trigger time with my rifle I got to where I could put a good group at 100 pretty easy. I have since put a 6x scope on ot nad shoot out to 200-250 all the time and keep them respectable (6") even on a windy day.