Is 1:7 too fast?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is 1:7 too fast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2227 Times on 1202 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default Is 1:7 too fast?

I'm looking to do a semi-build on an AR. The Palmetto State Armory complete uppers seem to be getting a lot of good reports and are very reasonably priced. But it seems everything they are making is in a 1:7 twist. This seems pretty aggressive for a general purpose carbine.

Would you be concerned about 55 grain bullets with a 1:7 twist? Or should I really be looking for a 1:8 or 1:9?

My intent is a rifle that will be used for plinking, HD, and coyotes. I'll probably look at a different upper for varmints down the road.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The only rounds that seem to have a problem with 1:7 is "varmint" rounds. I have seen video of those disintegrating about 20 yards

after leaving the barrel. As far as 55gr fmj is concerned. I shoot those out of my Daniel Defense barrel without issue. Have not had an opportunity to shoot HP yet. I guess they could self destruct since they don't have the same structural integrity as fmj bullets.

Merry Christmas

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Liked 1030 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

I wouldn't be worried about 55gr with a 1:7 twist but wouldn't go much lighter. Since you're thinking about a true varmint upper later, 1:7 would be ideal right now as it gives you a lot of flexibility including performance with heavier bullets.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been shooting AR's longer than most here have been alive and I'll never be convinced that spinning the crap out of a light bullet will make it accurate. For that reason I went with a 1:9 twist in a new RRA recently and it is superbly accurate with 55 gr. bullets.

I go back to when I qualified expert with a M16A1 in Army Basic Training. The A1 I used was a 1:12 twist if I recall and there was only one choice of bullet and it was a 55 gr. bullet. The old M16 was deadly accurate out to 300 meters without any adjustment to the iron sights needed, even with the slower twist rate.

I probably have at least 10,000 rounds of 55 to 62 grain 5.56/.223 ammo stored up and I am positive that I'll never ever be shooting heavy bullets through my AR. I also plan on doing all my shooting at ranges of 200 yards or less.

I know it's probably available somewhere, but I've never seen any heavy weight 5.56 /.223 ammo over 62 grains for sale anywhere. I also reload this caliber, so I could obtain the heavy bullets if I wanted, but why bother. I am also fairly sure I'll never need to fire tracers or make shots in excess of 500 yards with my AR and that's the reason the .mill went with the fast 1:7 twist.

Everyone makes a big fuss about having the fast twist barrel in their AR, but it's just not necessary in my opinion for what I want to do with mine. As usual, if that's what you want, well good for you be my guest, freedom of choice is what makes this Country great.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would stick with 1:7 as I shoot 55 and up.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Scott,

A little fast! You will not achieve peak accuracy from that combination although they will shoot fairly ok as far as just shooting. Depends on what you want out of the rifle as far as precise accuracy. I prefer the 1:9 in The tactical style AR-15. And as was stated earlier if you ever go to some of the lighter softer varmint bullets the 1:7 can spin them apart. If you were planning on shooting rounds in the mid to high 60s or heavier the 1:7 would be fine.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have put a lot of rounds, 55 grain rounds in the thousands, pmc .223, m193, xm193, and mfs russian steel case stuff. Never had a promblem with 55grainers. You'll be fine. You're not trying to get 1/2 moa groups are you? For general plinking shooting, and gunfights you're good with 55 gr fmj.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5944 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 5507

I use 55 and 62 grain bullets. My preference is 1-9.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21722 Times on 12312 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i'm curious as my 16" barreled AR has a 1-9 twist, i shoot mainly 55gr. fmj ammo, would i be better off with the 1-7 twist given my ammo choice?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i'm curious as my 16" barreled AR has a 1-9 twist, i shoot mainly 55gr. fmj ammo, would i be better off with the 1-7 twist given my ammo choice?
No. 1x9 is perfect for your shooting needs.