Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

'm sorry but the recoil into the hand has to be a bit much after a very short while

Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Beautiful, whatever you call it.

I would love to see a bear use one for an enema (full-auto model, obviously).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Calling the M-92 a SMG is incorrect because it is not using a pistol caliber. It uses an intermediate rifle cartridge. Showing me your MP-5... how will that help this argument?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
Calling the M-92 a SMG is incorrect because it is not using a pistol caliber. It uses an intermediate rifle cartridge. Showing me your MP-5... how will that help this argument?
Thanks for the question.I'll say so:You're a 100% right when you talk about the caliber.The m43 is definitely not a pistol caliber(even if, actually, there are some pistols chambered in that caliber).Why did I mention the mp5?Let me explain: the folded lenght, the sights, the effective range, the way you use it on the battlefield, etc... actually I'm talking about the both mp5 and m92.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do not believe the shortness of the weapon nor the folding stock feature are essential features of a SMG in the historical sense of the term, though many do have these features. The venerable MP-18, Thompson SMG, Bergmann MP-35, Lanchester, MP-41, and PPSH-42 are all classic SMG's and were used in the same manner as your MP-5. Most modern SMG's like the M-3 "grease gun", Madsen M-50, Smith&Wesson 76, and the venerable MP-40 all a folding stock, which could lead someone to think they were specific to SMG's, but that's not really the case.

The SMG is largely obsolete due to lack of firepower of the cartridges used having been replaced by the assault rifle, except for the role for police in urban areas where too much power and compactness is desirable.

I understand somel MP-5's can occasionally jam. Is yours reliable when dirty? I've had a tree twig fall into the ejection port and jam my MP-40 rather embarrassingly.

Last edited by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS; 04-10-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
I do not believe the shortness of the weapon nor the folding stock feature are essential features of a SMG in the historical sense of the term, though many do have these features. The venerable MP-18, Thompson SMG, Bergmann MP-35, Lanchester, MP-41, and PPSH-42 are all classic SMG's and were used in the same manner as your MP-5. Most modern SMG's like the M-3 "grease gun", Madsen M-50, Smith&Wesson 76, and the venerable MP-40 all a folding stock, which could lead someone to think they were specific to SMG's, but that's not really the case.

The SMG is largely obsolete due to lack of firepower of the cartridges used having been replaced by the assault rifle, except for the role for police in urban areas where too much power and compactness is desirable.

I understand somel MP-5's can occasionally jam. Is yours reliable when dirty? I've had a tree twig fall into the ejection port and jam my MP-40 rather embarrassingly.
We can say the same thing about the caliber.It all about the performance of the weapon and how it is used on the field.People that say that the M92 is actually a carbine base their opinion on the fact that it is chambered in 7,62x39, which is a rifle caliber(intermediate round, usually not used in SMGs).
But...guess what?There are rifle that are chambered in pistol calibers and viceversa.
Would you call "rifle" the weapon below(It's a derivative of the SMLE rifle)?

Actually, the weapon below is a PISTOL.Why is it a pistol if the weapon is chambered in a rifle cartridge?Because it performs and was designed as a PISTOL.

So is the M92 a SMG or a Carbine?It is mainly a SMG that have several carbine-like features(Including the caliber).

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3608 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

The difference is only in translation. In many Slavic languages the same word automat (or similar) means SMG or SBR, with the caliber stated separately.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The difference is only in translation. In many Slavic languages the same word automat (or similar) means SMG or SBR, with the caliber stated separately.
Nice theory, maybe it is correct(I speak several slavic languages and I can say that what you just said is not far from the truth).There is only one more thing I would like to say:The M92 is in fact a short weapon, not a long one(as the carbine and the rifle- mainly because of the lenght of its barrel).So we have a short firearm that was designed as SMG, that is used as SMG and has many SMG features but a rifle caliber.As I said...its definition is controversial, but it is a good "candidate" to be a SMG.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3608 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

In the US an SMG is by definition handgun caliber. (As SSGN said). A Krink of any origin is either an SBR or a pistol.

Last edited by Mercator; 04-18-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
In the US an SMG is by definition handgun caliber. (As SSGN said). A Krink of any origin is either an SBR or a pistol.
I accept it, even if it is partially "wrong"(Please, note the "").I'm used to name the weapons by basing the name/definition on the weapon implementation/usage.I cannot say that you're wrong(because you're not) but concerning this weapon...I have to disagree with you.