Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members

The Zastava M92 is one of the derivatives of the popular M70 rifle and maybe one of the most "controversial" weapons ever made by Zastava Arms.
The weapon is considered by the most as a carbine, by many as a submachinegun and it is even imported as pistol(To match US laws).
It was designed by Crvena Zastava(Now Zastava Arms) as a submachinegun and it is used by many professionals in this role even nowadays.After the war in the Balkans, the rifle was widely exported in several countries, where its initial designation changed to "carbine"(Mainly because of the caliber it is chambered in).Nowadays it is still manufactured and considered by Zastava Arms as a submachinegun.

Weapon Description(With comments):
Weight:3.57 kg (7.87 lb)-CARBINE
Length:
795 mm (31.30 in) stock extractedSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
550 mm (21.65 in) stock foldedSUBMACHINEGUN
Barrel length:254 mm (10.0 in)SUBMACHINEGUN
Cartridge:7.6239mmCARBINE
Rate of fire:620 rounds per minuteSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
Muzzle velocity:678 m/s (2,224 ft/s)CARBINE
Effective firing range:200 mSUBMACHINEGUN
Feed system:30 round box magazine or 75 round drum magazineSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
Sights:Adjustable iron sights, optional mount required for optical sightsSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
Otheristance between front and rear sights?SUBMACHINEGUN

SUBMACHINEGUN LIKE CHARACTERISTICS:8(4 true smg+4 smg compatible)
CARBINE LIKE CHARACTERISTICS:7(3 true carbine+4 carbine compatible)
CONCLUSION:11 characteristics taken in consideration, 4 of them are tipically attributed to SMGs, 3 to carbines and the remaining 4 can be attributed to both.

Actually, the M92 is a hybrid weapon, mainly a submachinegun.
36,36 % -SUBMACHINEGUN
27,27 % - CARBINE
36,36 % - SUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE

It can be considered a 72% true SMG or a 63% true carbine.Since the higher % goes to the submachinegun, I'll stick to the "submachinegun" definition.

What is your point of view?

Last edited by MCalig; 03-31-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 1178 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

My point of view ? One bad ass CQB / SHTF gun
Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members - AK & SKS Discussion

Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members - AK & SKS Discussion

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
My point of view ? One bad ass CQB / SHTF gun

No doubt about it!
snyder77 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My friend here shooting my M-92. It speaks for itself.

kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

Liked 3249 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 823

I would classify it as short barreled rifle. When I think sub-machine gun I think pistol calibers.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I would classify it as short barreled rifle. When I think sub-machine gun I think pistol calibers.
That's why it is so controversial: The 7.62x39 is not a common caliber for a SMG!But guess what?Even Zastava arms defines it as a SMG-as many other professionals do.Anyway, thanks for taking part to the discussion!
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine is an SBR because it is semi-auto only, and a select fire original should properly be classified as a short barreled assault rifle. Maybe a new classification such as compact assault rifle perhaps?

Last edited by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS; 04-07-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
Mine is an SBR because it is semi-auto only, and a select fire original should properly be classified as a short barreled assault rifle. Maybe a new classification such as compact assault rifle perhaps?

Hm...who knows?I only know that there are several classification/definitions of this weapon.I personally cannot say it is a true SMG(because of the m43 cartridge), I cannot say it is a true Carbine(There are too many SMG-like characteristic), I cannot call it "Assault rifle"(Too short effective range, etc),..
...So yes, maybe a new classification/definition is necessary to define this weapon...

Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCalig View Post
Hm...who knows?I only know that there are several classification/definitions of this weapon.I personally cannot say it is a true SMG(because of the m43 cartridge), I cannot say it is a true Carbine(There are too many SMG-like characteristic), I cannot call it "Assault rifle"(Too short effective range, etc),..
...So yes, maybe a new classification/definition is necessary to define this weapon...
What feature would you call an SMG feature? The folding stock? Many SMG's have no folding stock. I would say that the caliber is the key issue in order to classify the firearm for consistency, though you could involve the barrel length also, hence it should be classified as a assault carbine. Having the manufacturer use the term submachinegun for this firearm is just not technically correct.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
What feature would you call an SMG feature? The folding stock? Many SMG's have no folding stock. I would say that the caliber is the key issue in order to classify the firearm for consistency, though you could involve the barrel length also, hence it should be classified as a assault carbine. Having the manufacturer use the term submachinegun for this firearm is just not technically correct.
Techbnically incorrect?Only beacuse of the caliber.What features does it shares with a SMG?Bering me an mp5 (the true smg)and I'll show you.