Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Yugoslavian SKS's? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/yugoslavian-skss-63027/)

FIDDLEHEADSTEW 04-22-2012 01:10 AM

Yugoslavian SKS's?
 
Has anyone bought one of these rifles? How's the design as compared to the Chinese Norinco? Who are some of the better online sellers to check out? I read that the Yugoslavians didn't start to chrome line the barrels of these rifles until sometime after 1970, I might be wrong but I'd like to get a chrome lined barreled rifle.

UrbanNinja 04-22-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW
Has anyone bought one of these rifles? How's the design as compared to the Chinese Norinco? Who are some of the better online sellers to check out? I read that the Yugoslavians didn't start to chrome line the barrels of these rifles until sometime after 1970, I might be wrong but I'd like to get a chrome lined barreled rifle.

If you definitely want the chrome lined barrel, get the Norinco. You wont be disappointed. My personal opinion about the Yugo is that I don't see much difference between it and the Norinco. Not to mention you have the grenade launcher mounted on the end of your barrel and you can never use it.

I would check local gun shows before buying online. You may find a better price. I see them locally in my area for around $300. I hear they are much less everywhere else.

tCan 04-22-2012 02:36 AM

You can use the grenade launcher. You can either do the paperwork on each grenade, or you can buy smoke nades for it. Hard stuff to find I would imagine though.

silverado113 04-22-2012 02:51 AM

I have a Yugo SKS I picked up about 10 years ago and several thousand rounds later it's still going strong. Of course it only cost me about 89 bucks back then.

Mongo 04-25-2012 02:09 PM

Yugo SKS
 
I've had no problem with my Yugo without the chrome lined barrel but I clean it after shooting every time. The Yugo has the milled trigger group and threaded barrel same as the Russians. The Norinco's have two versions, one with the threaded barrel and milled trigger group and the other has a pinned barrel and a stamped trigger group. They all shoot well.

therewolf 04-25-2012 06:55 PM

The Yugo with the grenade launcher has a decided advantage, IMO.

Very simply, the Russian is beautifully balanced, but the Yugo

has a heavy front end which helps act as a counterweight

to recoil; the result is you get back on target quicker.

Compare the two at a firing range, and see for yourself.

orangello 04-25-2012 07:00 PM

It is my understanding that many of the Yugos are actual "surplus" military rifles that have seen some military use. Many of the Norincos were basically just Chinese-made rifles sold to the US market for hunting & plinking.

UrbanNinja 04-25-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
The Yugo with the grenade launcher has a decided advantage, IMO.

Very simply, the Russian is beautifully balanced, but the Yugo

has a heavy front end which helps act as a counterweight

to recoil; the result is you get back on target quicker.

Compare the two at a firing range, and see for yourself.

Does the grenade launcher really make that much of a weight difference? Ive handled a few of them but never fired them. Of course ive never handled them side by side for comparison. Also, how much difference does the muzzle break change compared between the slotted and ported versions?

therewolf 04-25-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 781716)
Does the grenade launcher really make that much of a weight difference? Ive handled a few of them but never fired them. Of course ive never handled them side by side for comparison. Also, how much difference does the muzzle break change compared between the slotted and ported versions?

It made a difference for me. One of the few times a counter-weight

actually works against recoil, IMHO. Try it and see, maybe your

range experience will be different than mine.

UrbanNinja 04-25-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf

It made a difference for me. One of the few times a counter-weight

actually works against recoil, IMHO. Try it and see, maybe your

range experience will be different than mine.

Eventually I will give it a try. I'd like to collect a SKS of all variants.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.