Yugo sks gas valve will not move!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Yugo sks gas valve will not move!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Yugo sks gas valve will not move!

My Yugo sks its gas valve is stuck into the single shot position (stuck face up 90° angle) and I have put oil and all kinds of stuff to "loosen" it up and for the life of me i can't get it to go in the position it needs to be in for semi-automatic shots. please help me it is annoying!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #2

Liked 2033 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Have you disassembled the gas tube? Perhaps there is something stuck in it? I had one that was lead fouled once. I was able to gently heat it up with a propane torch and tap it over to get it out. Dont everheat it though.

I still shoot lead. But I disassemble and clean the gas system very often.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

I took it apart cleaned it up a little an the gas vavle will not move to the semi-auto position.the gas vavle that you push down and can move it to single shot or semi-auto how do I make that move to semi-auto?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have read that many of those Yugo gas valves are corroded and end up being replaced.

Here is an aftermarket valve: http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MSKSGV1&cat=24 I think that is from the same guy that makes the firing pins with springs (something to check if you haven't).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Alright thanks I will check that out.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you given it a good cleaning? I mean an Army type cleaning! Take it apart and take it and your cleaning gear into the shower with you. Get allof the gunk out of it. Hot water is about the only thing that will clean cosmoline out of the nooks and crannies of a firearm. And believe me when those guns were shipped here they were coated in the stuff. Check the gas holes, make sure that junk isn't in them. Then dry it off, lube it and take it out for a try.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #7

I did clean it and I soaked it in some cleaner and I scrubbed but I took a mallet and just hit it into place will everything still be fine?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94hunter88 View Post
I did clean it and I soaked it in some cleaner and I scrubbed but I took a mallet and just hit it into place will everything still be fine?
Do it work? Yes? Good.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #9

I havent took it to the range or anything so im hoping it worked. But do you use a certain solvent to soak parts in?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I had that problem on one of mine. I bought a gallon of wd-40. Soaked it for about 2 weeks and it loosened right up. I know of guys who used kerosine and that worked too. Most if the time I have found with them it's a thin layer of rust that sticks them up. Sometimes when the gas valve is in the correct position u have to make a gasket out of a paper clip. The yugo sks was bad about gas leaks and will cause them to fire in single shot mode only. Aka grenade launch mode.