Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Yugo SKS in ATI Stock Problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Yugo SKS in ATI Stock Problem!

I have a problem...maybe. I bought an ATI 6 position stock for my yugo sks. Everything fits nicely except the trigger group. The barrel/receiver fits nicely and sits flush at the base of the stock where the trigger group would meet. When I try to insert the trigger group it tightens up and I can't quite make the trigger group meet the hook(?) at the bottom of the receiver.

I have tried to shave a little of the stock away to make the two meet but the hook(?) is VERY stiff. Any suggestions besides taking it to a gunsmith or buying a new stock? Help!

-mmhoium

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The trigger assembly on my Yugo's are hard to get it to latch on the Trigger Guard Latch. I have to use a raw hide mallet to get mine to latch or hit with your hand.

You need to check and make sure the safety is ON when you try to set the trigger guard assembly, it will not seat if the safety is off and ready to fire. Make sure the Assembly is in the hooks at the rear of the magazine as well.
If all those above check out you need to check the depth of your inletting on the stock to the original (use a set of calipers if you have one), the check the width. If it is close it should fit. If the 6po stock is not the same dimensions make it so.

With out actually looking at the firearm myself I am only shooting my .02 here, if you dont feel comfortable doing it you need to see a Gunsmith.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Oh I almost forgot a tip, when you are about to install the part, cock the hammer on the Assembly to make it alittle easier (if you have the bolt and all in that is)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick info. I think I did have the safety on, but its certainly worth a check. I will try it again tonight and see if I can't get it to fit with a rubber mallet or something.

-mmhoium

Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Now keep in mind you dont have to babe ruth the bastad genital but firm taps will do the job, Rubber mallet is not a gunsmith's best friend because of the bounce by the way. Rawhide hammer, nylon hammer or a dead blow is what you really need.

Make sure the firearm is not in your lap but in a cradle or on the table, if the action "droops" away from the stock while you are trying to get it to set, you may be there a while. If you dont get it let us know and Ill make a video on how to do it with the factory walnut stock to give you an idea

Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

Default New Problem.

Ok, I ended up giving up for the moment because I really just want to get it out to the range so I put it back in the original wood stock. Then came a new problem... I put everything back as it came but I went to check the bolt, trigger, magazine, etc to make sure everything functions correctly before I take it out tomorrow and something was different.

When I bought my Yugo SKS I worked the action and of course since there were no rounds in the magazine the bolt stayed open. I opened the magazine and let the bolt close. The day I bought this, after I did the previous, the firing pin was cocked and I could pull the trigger and here the pin dry fire (I know this is bad, no need for the lecture). Today when I put it back together and do the same thing, no firing pin release. After I pull the bolt back and release it there is no tension on the trigger. (no the safety is not on...). I am very new to SKS's so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Michael

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Check to make sure that your bolt is all the way forward. If it is not in full battery, it will disconnect the trigger.

Pull the charging handle all the way back ( have the magazine released so the catch does not stop the bolt) and let the bolt go. Do not ride the action forward, let it slam shut on its own. Check if it will fire.

Let us know as soon as possible if this is it.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #8

That wasn't the problem but it did help me find out what was. I had just purchased it less than a week ago, never fired it. When I looked closer, the whole trigger group had a slight bend to it. Took it to a gunsmith who confirmed that the disconnector was sliding under the hammer thus not releasing the spring. Took it back and gun shop promptly gave me a new trigger group. Taking it out to the range this weekend...

-mmhoium