Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Yugo O-PAP M70

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whiteydale23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yugo O-PAP M70

Hi I just got my first AK47 yesterday as a BDay gift from my wife. I like it but I'm wondering if I can change the wood stock to an under-folder and can it be done fairly easy and where to even buy a standard Yugo M70 stock?

__________________
whiteydale23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,204
Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

you can change them out to an underfolder but its not terribly easy. there are some drop in sidefolding kits.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whiteydale23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
you can change them out to an underfolder but its not terribly easy. there are some drop in sidefolding kits.
You know the Yugo M70's have a different stock set up than the standard AKM's right? I just want to convert it to an underfolder not a side folder. You think I can do that? If so where can I get the parts?
__________________
whiteydale23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,204
Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Yes I'm quite familiar with the ak47. To add an underfolder you need underfolder rear trunions if yours doesn't have them already. You can tell if they have the circles cutout for the undefolder hinge tube. Then your going to need to remove the stock trunions install the underfolder trunions you will need a hole cutter on a drill press cutting oil and some skill in lining things up.

To install the trunions you need to pop the rivets on the old ones and then rivet in the new ones.

None that I know of are drop in place with a screwdriver and hammer and punches

With the m70 you dont need to cut the stock tang off that the only diff

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 09-16-2013 at 07:23 PM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whiteydale23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Yes I'm quite familiar with the ak47. To add an underfolder you need underfolder rear trunions if yours doesn't have them already. You can tell if they have the circles cutout for the undefolder hinge tube. Then your going to need to remove the stock trunions install the underfolder trunions you will need a hole cutter on a drill press cutting oil and some skill in lining things up.

To install the trunions you need to pop the rivets on the old ones and then rivet in the new ones.

None that I know of are drop in place with a screwdriver and hammer and punches

With the m70 you dont need to cut the stock tang off that the only diff
Wow thanks. That's what I figured but I was hoping all I needed was a hammer and screwdriver lol. You think if I send it to Century they will do it for me?
__________________
whiteydale23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,204
Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteydale23 View Post
Wow thanks. That's what I figured but I was hoping all I needed was a hammer and screwdriver lol. You think if I send it to Century they will do it for me?
I doubt it. Cant Hurt to ask. Sending it off to get it converted is more pricey than just selling and buying the version you want.

The folks that diy this type of project have access to machine shops or some machine tools. Doing anything other than replacing a few internals on a ak47 is not easy, or cheap if having it done by someone else. They aren't like the ar15.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whiteydale23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I would sell it and buy an underfolder but unfortunately I'm in CA and its hard enough to get what I got right now lol. I guess I'll just enjoy what I got and be thankful

__________________
whiteydale23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whiteydale23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

I doubt it. Cant Hurt to ask. Sending it off to get it converted is more pricey than just selling and buying the version you want.

The folks that diy this type of project have access to machine shops or some machine tools. Doing anything other than replacing a few internals on a ak47 is not easy, or cheap if having it done by someone else. They aren't like the ar15.
It is a Yugo M70 after all. I have read nothing but good about it. Some even call the version I have to be the best AK ever made!
__________________
whiteydale23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,204
Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteydale23 View Post
I would sell it and buy an underfolder but unfortunately I'm in CA and its hard enough to get what I got right now lol. I guess I'll just enjoy what I got and be thankful
I think that's the best idea. I've got an underfolder and a standard wood stock. The under folder is a awesome truck gun but accuracy really suffers from the extremely poor cheek weld. My pref is for the wood stock for most things.

I would prefer my bcm ar15 or my scar17 as a truck gun but if someone busts a window and steals the ak Im only out a cheap disposable rifle... the way ca is going its only a year or less they are going to ban all semi auto and make you turn them in for zero compensation. Since ca knows you have em through their state applications you can't just say I lost it or it got stolen or I sold it.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Will yugo pap m92 grips fit a yugo m70 pap? lizardfire11 AK & SKS Discussion 1 08-05-2013 10:14 PM
Yugo sks jjfuller1 AK & SKS Discussion 4 01-12-2013 10:46 PM
my yugo sks gunnovice09 AK & SKS Discussion 5 03-27-2012 01:44 PM
New Yugo SKS shootsathing General Rifle Discussion 12 11-04-2011 04:27 PM
I could use some help on my Yugo 24/47 CA357 Curio & Relic Discussion 17 06-14-2011 08:48 PM