Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Yugo O-PAP M70 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/yugo-o-pap-m70-97094/)

whiteydale23 09-15-2013 04:12 PM

Yugo O-PAP M70

Hi I just got my first AK47 yesterday as a BDay gift from my wife. I like it but I'm wondering if I can change the wood stock to an under-folder and can it be done fairly easy and where to even buy a standard Yugo M70 stock?

JonM 09-15-2013 04:41 PM

you can change them out to an underfolder but its not terribly easy. there are some drop in sidefolding kits.

whiteydale23 09-15-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
you can change them out to an underfolder but its not terribly easy. there are some drop in sidefolding kits.

You know the Yugo M70's have a different stock set up than the standard AKM's right? I just want to convert it to an underfolder not a side folder. You think I can do that? If so where can I get the parts?

JonM 09-16-2013 07:21 PM

Yes I'm quite familiar with the ak47. To add an underfolder you need underfolder rear trunions if yours doesn't have them already. You can tell if they have the circles cutout for the undefolder hinge tube. Then your going to need to remove the stock trunions install the underfolder trunions you will need a hole cutter on a drill press cutting oil and some skill in lining things up.

To install the trunions you need to pop the rivets on the old ones and then rivet in the new ones.

None that I know of are drop in place with a screwdriver and hammer and punches

With the m70 you dont need to cut the stock tang off that the only diff

whiteydale23 09-17-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Yes I'm quite familiar with the ak47. To add an underfolder you need underfolder rear trunions if yours doesn't have them already. You can tell if they have the circles cutout for the undefolder hinge tube. Then your going to need to remove the stock trunions install the underfolder trunions you will need a hole cutter on a drill press cutting oil and some skill in lining things up.

To install the trunions you need to pop the rivets on the old ones and then rivet in the new ones.

None that I know of are drop in place with a screwdriver and hammer and punches

With the m70 you dont need to cut the stock tang off that the only diff

Wow thanks. That's what I figured but I was hoping all I needed was a hammer and screwdriver lol. You think if I send it to Century they will do it for me?

JonM 09-17-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteydale23 (Post 1374512)
Wow thanks. That's what I figured but I was hoping all I needed was a hammer and screwdriver lol. You think if I send it to Century they will do it for me?

I doubt it. Cant Hurt to ask. Sending it off to get it converted is more pricey than just selling and buying the version you want.

The folks that diy this type of project have access to machine shops or some machine tools. Doing anything other than replacing a few internals on a ak47 is not easy, or cheap if having it done by someone else. They aren't like the ar15.

whiteydale23 09-18-2013 07:20 AM

I would sell it and buy an underfolder but unfortunately I'm in CA and its hard enough to get what I got right now lol. I guess I'll just enjoy what I got and be thankful

whiteydale23 09-18-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

I doubt it. Cant Hurt to ask. Sending it off to get it converted is more pricey than just selling and buying the version you want.

The folks that diy this type of project have access to machine shops or some machine tools. Doing anything other than replacing a few internals on a ak47 is not easy, or cheap if having it done by someone else. They aren't like the ar15.

It is a Yugo M70 after all. I have read nothing but good about it. Some even call the version I have to be the best AK ever made!

JonM 09-19-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteydale23 (Post 1375637)
I would sell it and buy an underfolder but unfortunately I'm in CA and its hard enough to get what I got right now lol. I guess I'll just enjoy what I got and be thankful

I think that's the best idea. I've got an underfolder and a standard wood stock. The under folder is a awesome truck gun but accuracy really suffers from the extremely poor cheek weld. My pref is for the wood stock for most things.

I would prefer my bcm ar15 or my scar17 as a truck gun but if someone busts a window and steals the ak Im only out a cheap disposable rifle... the way ca is going its only a year or less they are going to ban all semi auto and make you turn them in for zero compensation. Since ca knows you have em through their state applications you can't just say I lost it or it got stolen or I sold it.