Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Yugo AK.? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/yugo-ak-52660/)

Jkl-28 11-28-2011 07:12 PM

Yugo AK.?

So I am thinking about getting a yugo AK...
Does anyone have one and if so do u like it or not? Is it a good buy?
I already have a couple Romanian Aks and I have a galil but I just feel like I could use an other AK so I was looking at the Yugoslavian AK And I was wondering what u guys think or have to say about them.

Mordred 11-29-2011 12:07 PM

I have a yugo M70ab2 and its a very nice rifle. The one issue with yugo's (and i think this is with yugo SKS also) is that many of them have a grenade launcher sight on them. Which means the gas block is different than a normal AK, because there is a nut that runs through it and if not in place correctly, will block the gas for kickback. I had to put locktight on mine so that it would stop coming loose while firing. Yugo's are heavier so they are more accurate. I have several friends with regular wasr aks and they can't even come close to my accuracy.
I've noticed lately that they've become a little hard to find so if you can get your hands on one, take it.

Leathermarshmallow 11-30-2011 01:25 AM

I have one of the Yugo underfolders. I love that rifle. I thought that with the metal folding stock that it would be uncomfortable to shoot, but I found it to be no problem at all. Also, it folds to such a short length that it can be kept nearly anywhere. I would like to find another similar to it.

1stMarine 11-30-2011 02:21 AM

If there's one thing I learned don't let that slightly different gas block put you off, it can actually be a huge advantage for example in adverse conditions. I've found that simply adjusting the position of the gas restrictor can allow for much better firing with a fouled barrel, bolt, or gas system. The extra pressure seems to force the gun to work peroid. I would not however reccomend opening the restrictor like that for normal conditions as the excess pressure can in fact damage the gun.

g17frantz 11-30-2011 03:18 AM

My dad owns a Yugo. Love love love shooting the thing. Shot the snot out of it, no probs. Yugo made AK's are supposed to be one of the best correct?

1stMarine 11-30-2011 10:54 AM

They're up there if you really want the best you want russian made (exceptionally rare) then after that norincos and yugos are pretty even if you get a new yugo. The milsurp yugos are pretty hit and miss

Mordred 11-30-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stMarine (Post 639620)
If there's one thing I learned don't let that slightly different gas block put you off, it can actually be a huge advantage for example in adverse conditions. I've found that simply adjusting the position of the gas restrictor can allow for much better firing with a fouled barrel, bolt, or gas system. The extra pressure seems to force the gun to work peroid. I would not however reccomend opening the restrictor like that for normal conditions as the excess pressure can in fact damage the gun.

Unfortunately the gas block plug on the Yugo AK is not one that you can toggle. Its either open if the grenade sight is down, or closed if grenade sight is up. I think SKSs can be toggled but not the AK.
As for which AK is the best, I can only say Yugo AKs are made thicker. They have milled receivers so they are heavier. And from my experience most of the Yugos have pretty nice sights compared to some of the wasr's ive seen.
Mr. AK himself says that he thinks the Bulgarian model AKs are the best.

1stMarine 12-01-2011 02:17 AM

I know what I meant is that often the most buildup in the system happens around there and the bolt. Toggle the switch a few times and you should knock the crap loose enough for the rifle to get sufficent pressure to cycle the bolt. Like I said I wouldn't do it unless I had to all that crap will screw up your gun pretty good if you don't clean it enough.