Your takes on the SKS. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Your takes on the SKS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5817 Times on 3037 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5Last5Rebel View Post
Get a SVT 38 or 40.
unfortunately they cost about as much as a 308 AR but with nearly zero spare parts. those are collector items not shooters.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
unfortunately they cost about as much as a 308 AR but with nearly zero spare parts. those are collector items not shooters.
The VEPR .308 doesn't do it for ya, eh? They also have a 7.62x54r version with a couple different barrel lengths.
http://www.classicfirearms.co/semi-auto%20rifles.htm I like it, but they aren't cheap.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #43

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw
The poster for this thread asked for our take on the Sks, because my opinion is different then yours I'm the A-hole. What crap. The cult like following you people have for such rifles is pathetic. I'm sure you like it as much as your hi point pistol and corrosive ammo.
I love my SKS rifle and my American (non commie) made Hi-point. Both are extremely accurate and reliable and I gladly fire them just as much as any higher end firearm I own.

OP, buy yourself an SKS, you wont regret it. You can modify almost as much as an AR, if thats what you want to do or, just buy cheap ammo by the case and have a fun day at the range. Parts are easily had and there are many models to choose from.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #44

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

What is your deal with Soviet guns? They were not designed to be competition guns, or sniper rifles. They were designed for war, which they are very good at.

OP, an SKS is a great gun. It's cheap to feed, extremely reliable, and has decent accuracy (not bench shooting accuracy.) It is a fun range gun.
I agree, if you want something to shoot for fun at the range for cheap this is a good choice in my opinion. I own one and it's fired every time and it's easy to maintain, I don't really pick one side or the other but just my 2 cent.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #45

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What's amazing is the way the value of the SKS has risen.

I just traded one in because it was definitely a back row of the safe occupier and I just didn't shoot it. The gave me like $250 for it I paid $125 for it a few years ago when I bought it. He'll probably sell it for right at $300.

It was a chinese model and I installed a replacement peep sight which I had no problem shooting a 3" group at 100 yards.

2 cents worth here as well!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #46

My son has a numbers matching Norinco. The thing runs like a sewing machine, and is a blast to shoot. One of the best rifles he owns.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #47

Have one myself and your right it's a blast to shoot and it takes a beating.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #48

Liked 2565 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

I just found a 20 shot Chinese internal mag, and a recoil pad for

my wood stock Russian, so I'm a little hyped. Can't wait to try them out...

Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #49

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

They're relatively cheap, will shoot the worst quality ammo, never break down, and will hit just about anything you shoot at within a reasonable range. And they're fun as hel to shoot, What's not to like?

I used to pick them up at the flea markets around here for less than 200 bucks, clean them up a little, and resell them for a decent little profit. The prices have gone up though so it's harder to do that anymore

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #50

Likes Given: 1

Its all about the price to me. My father bought sks Russian and Chinese for 100 bucks all day 10 years ago now a days tho you could get a nice saiga for close to what you would spend on a sks and do the conversion yourself. I believe that the saiga is the sks of today but I love the sks and have 6 that said I would never pay today's prices Mine are all very accurate. This was a question of opinion on a gun not your feeling for other nations or racist redirect. I am a American and I love Communist weapons dose that make me a communist ? No just a red blooded American that just didn't like the feel of a AR.
OP- I would look on Armslist they have some cheap ones on there if you are set on a sks but I would highly suggest buying a Saiga maybe even one with the already done front and converting it Chrom-lined barrel Russian made, after bullet guided takes all surplus mags and you can make it your own.