Your takes on the SKS. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Your takes on the SKS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Don't feed the troll.
If you don't feed them, they could die, polluting the river and making it smell bad on the bridge they lived under.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey 7mmstw, you should send Billt a pm, I think you two would get along quite nicely.

To the OP, I personally prefer the AR-15 platform, but there is nothing wrong with an SKS. I'm actually thinking about picking one up in the near future to have as a fun/range gun.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

^ hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #34

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I'm planning on getting an SKS as my next gun.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

The SKS used to be a bargain, at one time you could get one under $100. I got mine, a Yugo, around six years ago when they were about $100 and the WASR 10 AK was about $300. It was a lot of gun for the money but then the price jumped up over $400 for a while and back down to $300+. Since the price is now close to a WASR 10 you want to compare them and decide which way you want to go. I ended up with both since they're both well worth having around.

I have no real complaints, it worked right out of the box and is a pretty accurate rifle considering the 7.62x39 cartridge. I have to agree with the positive comments in this thread, it's a good rifle that shoots a good cartridge that doesn't cost much. Just shop for price and make sure you get a good one. The Yugo is pretty muzzle heavy but you can remove the grenade launcher to improve that.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6835 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

i wish the sks was chambering in 7.62x54r instead of the x39. i think thats its biggest drawback.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i wish the sks was chambering in 7.62x54r instead of the x39. i think thats its biggest drawback.
Get a SVT 38 or 40.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #38

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The SKS used to be a bargain, at one time you could get one under $100. I got mine, a Yugo, around six years ago when they were about $100 and the WASR 10 AK was about $300. It was a lot of gun for the money but then the price jumped up over $400 for a while and back down to $300+. Since the price is now close to a WASR 10 you want to compare them and decide which way you want to go. I ended up with both since they're both well worth having around.

I have no real complaints, it worked right out of the box and is a pretty accurate rifle considering the 7.62x39 cartridge. I have to agree with the positive comments in this thread, it's a good rifle that shoots a good cartridge that doesn't cost much. Just shop for price and make sure you get a good one. The Yugo is pretty muzzle heavy but you can remove the grenade launcher to improve that.
I have to agree about the muzzle-heavy yugo, I fired a friend's
the other day. I noticed it helps get you back on target by
fighting muzzle flip. The Russians are lighter and better
balanced, till you pull the trigger.

For those of us who either can't see 300+ yards with the naked eye,
or are looking for a good casual plinker that's not a .22, IMO
you can't do better. I've got a Garand, Marlin, and others. I can afford to buy any gun I want, but mysteriously, my SKSs wound up being:

1-my truck gun

2-my favorite shooter

My other "MOA" guns may technically shoot better, but I just
don't generally choose them when I go to the range. And I trust
the SKS dependability better than my AK.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #39

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw

Better than an Sks. There is a reason we use the Armalite platform and not cheap communist junk that pulls at the hearstrings of people who don't build or work on guns for a living.
I've had some gunsmith training. I'm actually shipping out to trinidad state in a year to specialize in rifle building and weapons design. ........and I like the SKS...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8215 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 8005

Those who refer to the SKS or steel cased ammo as "junk" have never seen either from the muzzle end.