Your takes on the SKS. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Your takes on the SKS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

You know what, it's two completely different worlds. We like old, historic guns. You like modern, high dollar rifles. Lets agree to disagree, and leave it at that.
You are incorrect, I love old guns as well, have original, Belgium A5s extremely low serial numbers, M1 Garand , 1892 Winchesters, I own 3 custom Mausers made in 1919, 1934, 1941, also have a 71 Winchester. First production Remington vartargs from 1966-67. So you can't get me there.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I could care less about where a gun was made. If it shoots good then it shoots good. People are so freakin political about where guns are made these days. Seriously who gives a damn.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
You are incorrect, I love old guns as well, have original, Belgium A5s extremely low serial numbers, M1 Garand , 1892 Winchesters, I own 3 custom Mausers made in 1919, 1934, 1941, also have a 71 Winchester. First production Remington vartargs from 1966-67. So you can't get me there.
Ok, you will not change our minds, and we will not change yours. Leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5Last5Rebel View Post
I could care less about where a gun was made. If it shoots good then it shoots good. People are so freakin political about where guns are made these days. Seriously who gives a damn.
OP, sorry we jacked your thread. The SKS is a good gun. A lot of people love them. As said before, they will not shoot 1-2 MOA, but they will shoot cheap ammo without problems, and they are fun guns.

If you know someone who has one, you should see if they would let you try it out, and then make your decision.

There are several stores online that have them for sale if there are not any locally. Classic arms has some Yugos that are "repair grade" (they need minor repairs) http://www.classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm, or you could try to find a Norinco. The Norinco will most likely be in better shape, with a better bore.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Ok, you will not change our minds, and we will not change yours. Leave it at that.

OP, sorry we jacked your thread. The SKS is a good gun. A lot of people love them. As said before, they will not shoot 1-2 MOA, but they will shoot cheap ammo without problems, and they are fun guns.

If you know someone who has one, you should see if they would let you try it out, and then make your decision.

There are several stores online that have them for sale if there are not any locally. Classic arms has some Yugos that are "repair grade" (they need minor repairs) http://www.classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm, or you could try to find a Norinco. The Norinco will most likely be in better shape, with a better bore.
I have shot some before and I do like them. I've shot a Romanian, a regular Norinco SKS and a Norinco MC-5D. I just wanted to see what anyone else thought about the rifle. Thanks for your take on it.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We all love guns and we're all Americans so let's just leave it at that yal.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default SKS can be a good rifle

Had mine for several years. Always doing something to it. More accurate than my AK , not in the same league as my M-15 A2, but much cheaper. I give it 2 thumbs up for the money.
sks-001.jpg  

Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #27

Liked 949 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1068

I like the SKS, but I wont own anything less than a Ruskie one.. The only other ones ive shot were Norinco's and I think their complete crap...

On its quality.. Yes, I like the high dollar guns too, but I started out with a SKS, Its not bad for what it is though.. A cheap, lightweight carbine..

Personally I like to keep all my old milsurps as original as possible, So why do I need a gun that shoots 1" groups at 800 yds, when I cant even see a object thats only 1" big at that distance? I know my M1903 can shoot better than I ever can, just 'cause the fact I cant see as far as it shoots.. I could scope it, and shoot better groups, but as far as im concerned that would ruin it..

Heck, when I took my 1895 to be fixed, I met the gunsmith at the local shooting range. Him and his buddies were shooting $2,000+ competition rifles and all I had was my $100 Mosin..
They were actually impressed with it, Was I getting the groups they were getting? Of course not, but I was hitting the all the targets up to 1000yds, with a rifle that just had open sights and cost at least $1,900 less than theirs did.... Personally I dont think hitting a 14" gong at 1000yds is that shabby with no scope and a "crappy" rifle...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8165 Times on 4466 Posts
Likes Given: 7948

Don't feed the troll.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

i bought my yugo sks when i was 18. it was my first gun that i had actually bought myself and i love that gun. i have had no problems with the gun. yeah they are cheap but for the price they arnt bad. it can kill ppl just as fast and easy as any other gun. i feel like the ppl that hate on ak's and sks' are the ones who have the money to buy the high end guns and dont appreciate a cheap reliable gun. just because you cant shoot a crab off of a pubic hair at 100 yards doesnt mean its a piece of junk. its like a car, for some ppl wheels are wheels and they get you to and fro but for others its not good enough unless its expensive and has fancy things. just my opinion though.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Lots of people own lots of guns I know are junk. If you can not shoot under 2inches at 100 yards under the best of circumstances then it's not worth having as a gun.
My Ruger GP100 is a quality-built and well-maintained firearm. I don't know if i could keep it under 2moa. Maybe i just suck as a target tacker? Maybe you have a narrow view of "quality" in a firearm?

I like my SKS just fine. I've tried AR's belonging to friends of mine, but i won't spend $750+ to launch a 22 caliber projectile at a high speed (just don't hate squirrels that much).