Your takes on the SKS.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Your takes on the SKS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Your takes on the SKS.

I've heard from some people that the SKS is a poor quality rifle (junk). Then I've heard from people who actually own one say that the SKS is one of there favorite rifles they own. I do not own one yet, but from what I've seen by shooting a SKS is that it is not the highest quality rifle but it is very reliable and fun to shoot. What's your take on the SKS?

Stay safe, stay Second Amendment.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Junk, you want something fun ad cheap to shoot? There is a plethora of better guns out there.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like it when people say things like, the guys that own one say they are good. Would you own something you thought was junk?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #4

Lots of people own lots of guns I know are junk. If you can not shoot under 2inches at 100 yards under the best of circumstances then it's not worth having as a gun.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 658

Default Sks

The Chinese SKS can have a chrome lined threaded barrel and a milled trigger group or a pinned barrel and a stamped trigger group. They both shoot well. There is a big difference in the quality. I have a Romanian SKS that the barrel isn't chrome lined. Some of the Romanians are in excellent condition while others are used, some in very poor condition. I used to buy unfired Russian's that were in excellent condition. They are reliable and fun to shoot. There is a large selection of accessories available. The down side is if you modify one, make sure you comply with the 922 rules.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw
Lots of people own lots of guns I know are junk. If you can not shoot under 2inches at 100 yards under the best of circumstances then it's not worth having as a gun.
That's very bench shooter of you to say, lol.

What's the MOA tolerance required for the Colts currently protecting our right to type on such forums?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

That's very bench shooter of you to say, lol.

What's the MOA tolerance required for the Colts currently protecting our right to type on such forums?
Better than an Sks. There is a reason we use the Armalite platform and not cheap communist junk that pulls at the hearstrings of people who don't build or work on guns for a living.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8881 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

SKS is a carbine, with a rated effective range in combat of 500 meters. That is a lot better than the M1 Carbine (300 meters) and probably equal to or better than a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Not a benchrest gun, and not a target rifle- but for what it was designed to do (replace a heavier rifle and have more firepower) it does that pretty well.

BTW, more accurate than an AK47 (of which an estimated 75 MILLION have been made) While there are junky specimens out there- Yugos that have been used up before being surplused) the carbine itself is far from junk.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #9

Used by 3rd world uneducated, communist or Muslim, canonfodder, as long as they can throw lead and keep throwing lead then it's ok. You don't need accuracy if you have 100 million peasants with something that goes boom.

Companies make billions of those little crap candles kids put in pumpkins at Halloween, doesn't mean that they made 6 billion of them good or amazing. It's cheap and it did in a round about way what it was supposed to do.
I'd rather have some pride in ownership than having something that just goes boom and you can buy by the truckload.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Used by 3rd world uneducated, communist or Muslim, canonfodder, as long as they can throw lead and keep throwing lead then it's ok. You don't need accuracy if you have 100 million peasants with something that goes boom.

Companies make billions of those little crap candles kids put in pumpkins at Halloween, doesn't mean that they made 6 billion of them good or amazing. It's cheap and it did in a round about way what it was supposed to do.
I'd rather have some pride in ownership than having something that just goes boom and you can buy by the truckload.
What is your deal with Soviet guns? They were not designed to be competition guns, or sniper rifles. They were designed for war, which they are very good at.

OP, an SKS is a great gun. It's cheap to feed, extremely reliable, and has decent accuracy (not bench shooting accuracy.) It is a fun range gun.