Your takes on the AK-47. - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Your takes on the AK-47.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My Father is 100% Russian making me 50% Russian. My grandparents were straight from Soviet Georgia and spoke almost no English. They came here because they didn't like "the Commies", either. I am not offended at all by the word "Commie". I know my Father isn't a Commie nor am I.
Russia is the largest nation on the planet.

You hear about French, Italian, Chinese,Mexican, food-but you never

hear about Russian food. It's gotta be good. I'd love to have an

all-Russian meal sometime. Nothing special or fancy, just home cooking...

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #82
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 682

A very small percent of the Russian people were communists but the Russians love their country and are willing to die for it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #83
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7792 Times on 4679 Posts
Likes Given: 9792

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Russia is the largest nation on the planet.

You hear about French, Italian, Chinese,Mexican, food-but you never

hear about Russian food. It's gotta be good. I'd love to have an

all-Russian meal sometime. Nothing special or fancy, just home cooking...
Let me guarantee you, the typical Russian is quite poor and they eat weird things. But my Dad makes a delicioius cabbage/beet soup. Borscht. It's wonderful. Also Oxtail soup. He eats chicken feet, pigs feet and can clean a chicken or rib bone as if it were boiled clean. He even eats the cartilidge off the ends of the chicken leg bones. They eat lots of cabbage, potatoes and cheap fish like sardines. Vodka is made from fermented potatoes. He eats all the fat the rest of us trim off our meat and I just saw his most recent lab results. His cholesteral panel is better than mine.

There is a Russian restaurant in Chicago I've been too. Very pricey but there were about 12 of us "Russians" from my family that went and we had a great time. Our bill was right around $300.00!! But we had drinks and hors douvres.

http://www.russianteatime.com/6464/index.html

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #84

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

^ this is true and your father and I are healthy. The saying "don't knock it 'til you try it" comes into play here. People think that chocolate covered scorpions are disgusting when in all reality they're quite tasty. I bring this up because it's under the weird foods section along with Borscht, if you look back into WWII the soldiers ate anything they could get their hands on. In Africa you can have chocolate covered insects and candied insects. In Texas you can have rattlesnake, in Japan you can have Fugu or pufferfish (if not cooked properly can KILL you). Every country has its weird but great delicacies and it's people are proud.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #85

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The main reason your father will eat wierd things probably dates back to the 30s when stalin "centralized" family farms. It was a disaster. I can only imagine what a ukrainian person would eat. The russians under stalin starved millions of their population. Even today if you mistake a person from the ukrain and call them russian, you have insulted them gravely.

http://faminegenocide.com/resources/genocide/genocide-speech.html

NEVER FORGET

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #86

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
The main reason your father will eat wierd things probably dates back to the 30s when stalin "centralized" family farms. It was a disaster. I can only imagine what a ukrainian person would eat. The russians under stalin starved millions of their population. Even today if you mistake a person from the ukrain and call them russian, you have insulted them gravely.

http://faminegenocide.com/resources/genocide/genocide-speech.html
I read your link about the genocide of over 7,000,000 in the Ukraine. Very educational. I knew that Stalin was a monster but this puts him on par with with Hitler.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #87

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrause2010

I read your link about the genocide of over 7,000,000 in the Ukraine. Very educational. I knew that Stalin was a monster but this puts him on par with with Hitler.
Mao did the same thing, even worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017839/Madman-starved-60-million-death-Devastating-book-reveals-Maos-megalomania-turned-China-madhouse.html

NEVER FORGET

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #88
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I have owned a Romanian AK-47 since waaay back when when you could buy them for about a buck and quarter. They are not sniper rifles, generally having what was termed "Battlefield accuracy," which means you can hit a human inside 250 yards. Part of the prejudice against this rifle is the cold war "Russia=bad, U.S.A.=good" mentality that pervaded for 45 years, but also Americans fell out of using any .30 caliber round and have become soft to the sharper recoil of the generally more effective killing round. 7.62X39 is a great compromise between weight and lethality on the modern battlefield as a practiced shooter shouldn't have to fire nearly as many rounds as a .223 shooter to be effective, in general, due to the barrier penetration, extra range and extra lethality of the 7.62X39 round.

If you can drop your prejudice and take a more "Whole World" view, you'll find the AK-47 a more than competent and hardy weapon in a practiced shooter's hands.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #89

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

TekGreg you have excellent points, and they are the same I've been attempting to say but never had the time, nor the energy to. Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from on this.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #90

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
I have owned a Romanian AK-47 since waaay back when when you could buy them for about a buck and quarter. They are not sniper rifles, generally having what was termed "Battlefield accuracy," which means you can hit a human inside 250 yards. Part of the prejudice against this rifle is the cold war "Russia=bad, U.S.A.=good" mentality that pervaded for 45 years, but also Americans fell out of using any .30 caliber round and have become soft to the sharper recoil of the generally more effective killing round. 7.62X39 is a great compromise between weight and lethality on the modern battlefield as a practiced shooter shouldn't have to fire nearly as many rounds as a .223 shooter to be effective, in general, due to the barrier penetration, extra range and extra lethality of the 7.62X39 round.

If you can drop your prejudice and take a more "Whole World" view, you'll find the AK-47 a more than competent and hardy weapon in a practiced shooter's hands.
I love my AK 47 and have a profound respect for the Russian people, their tenacity and their culture. I don't knock them because of men like Stalin. That would be stupid. I also wont let the Holocaust or Hitler stop me from being proud of my predominantly German heritage. Contrary to popular belief, politicians aren't always the best representation of the common man. Did I mention that I love my AK?

Closed Thread