Your takes on the AK-47. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Your takes on the AK-47.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AndyRexia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franklin,North Carolina
Posts: 341
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Default

As in, just looking at them will cost you money

__________________
AndyRexia is offline  
 
Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

I think what hes getting at is he has been around quality AR's. They just cost and arm and a leg.
Just like the AK there are more expensive options but you don't have to spend an arm or a leg to get a quality AR.

When comparing firearms of equal overall quality the AK can be more expansive. Compare a Rifle Dynamics AK to a BCM or Daniel Defense.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 04-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ZombieBrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 445
Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Maybe it's just late but your post is a little unclear.
"they are expensive" sorry
__________________
ZombieBrawler is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Some of the accuracy issues are from the short distance between the sights. That and loose tolerances often don't always put side mounted scope rails directly over the center of the bore. A few newer products help overcome these issues. One was developed with Larry Vickers input. It is an adjustable side mount that will place center of scope or red dot on centerline of barrel. It's called Akml optic mount and is pricey. Other good options are TWS rail cover, Ultimak and Midwest have gas tube red dot mounts. Any others that I've missed?

__________________
blahX3 is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Just like the AK there are more expensive options but you don't have to spend an arm or a leg to get a quality AR.

When comparing firearms of equal overall quality the AK can be more expansive. Compare a Rifle Dynamics AK to a BCM or Daniel Defense.
I think you can get an Ak with the same quality of workmanship and fit/finish and attention paid to the build as on a quality AR cheaper than a AR. But due to the AK design they still won't be as precise as a Quality AR. but yes,to get a AK to rival the accuracy and the design to overcome the AK's shortcomings to approach the inherent good ergos and fast handling of a tier one AR you are gonna pay BIG bucks.

---Shoot To Thrill---
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BLUNTTrauma72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

I think you can get an Ak with the same quality of workmanship and fit/finish and attention paid to the build as on a quality AR cheaper than a AR. But due to the AK design they still won't be as precise as a Quality AR. but yes,to get a AK to rival the accuracy and the design to overcome the AK's shortcomings to approach the inherent good ergos and fast handling of a tier one AR you are gonna pay BIG bucks.

---Shoot To Thrill---
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what about .223 AK owners?
__________________
BLUNTTrauma72 is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNTTrauma72

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what about .223 AK owners?
The round does play a role but some of it is embedded in the system itself.

Jstrong, I agree w/ the majority of what you posted.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

The round does play a role but some of it is embedded in the system itself.

Jstrong, I agree w/ the majority of what you posted.
Yup,I believe that the loose tolerances combined with the gas piston cycling right over the barrel are what diminshes the accuracy of the AK platform,regardless of caliber. Not to say it's INaccurate,bc it's not. Just not AS accurate.

---Shoot To Thrill---
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

Yup,I believe that the loose tolerances combined with the gas piston cycling right over the barrel are what diminshes the accuracy of the AK platform,regardless of caliber. Not to say it's INaccurate,bc it's not. Just not AS accurate.

---Shoot To Thrill---
Fo sho ...
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Okay, anyone have a good mag release extension?

__________________
Sickofnotliving is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Which Takes More Talent? mcsmithy Competition Shooting 5 07-12-2012 01:43 PM
Your takes on the SKS. The5Last5Rebel AK & SKS Discussion 99 04-20-2012 01:31 AM
how to reload bullets. what it takes. bigslouchy Ammunition & Reloading 21 09-25-2011 06:06 AM
PETA takes on McDonalds Shotgun Shooter The Club House 45 08-07-2009 07:01 AM
This Really Takes The Cake! layton Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 07-27-2009 12:37 AM



Newest Threads