Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Your takes on the AK-47.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Also take into account censorship. The US and Russia haven't been the best of friends so the US citizens think the M16 is better because the shows, movies, and more show how "superior" it is to the AK. In all reality it's not except in accuracy. The AK saved my ass at 400yards seventeen times while I served in the Spetsnaz.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

In the Russian military in the ****ty time of needing to reload in a firefight, we drew our pistols and slung our rifles simultaneously.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #23

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
a vz58 is on my future buy list which is a czech varient. however my main complaint is the horrible ergonomics compaired to the ar15. spend some time doing mag changes with both and operating the safeties etc. run both dry the ar locks open the ak doesnt. even combat reloads the ak is slower due to the need to manually remove the mag with the off hand then grab a fresh lock in place.

if its run dry you get that life or death click then realize no bullets left. with a little experience on the ar15 you can tell when the last round was fired by feel.

while practical combat accuracy is the same so is practical combat reliability.

anyway, i wouldnt take one to war.

just my opinion
I have big enough hands that I can operate the safety with my trigger finger,and u can load a mag just as fast as an AR as long as you aren't worried about retention. Smack the mag release lever with the side of fresh mag and follow through to knock the old mag out before inserting new mag,very fast mag swaps with some practice using this technique.just the ways I overcome the ak's ergo issues

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Don't come to an ak thread with your snooty 22 caliber.:-):-):-):-)
Just stating fact lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
a vz58 is on my future buy list which is a czech varient. however my main complaint is the horrible ergonomics compaired to the ar15. spend some time doing mag changes with both and operating the safeties etc. run both dry the ar locks open the ak doesnt. even combat reloads the ak is slower due to the need to manually remove the mag with the off hand then grab a fresh lock in place.

if its run dry you get that life or death click then realize no bullets left. with a little experience on the ar15 you can tell when the last round was fired by feel.

while practical combat accuracy is the same so is practical combat reliability.

anyway, i wouldnt take one to war.

just my opinion
The VZ has been a fun little firearm so far. I would say it is a better option than the AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood View Post
Also take into account censorship. The US and Russia haven't been the best of friends so the US citizens think the M16 is better because the shows, movies, and more show how "superior" it is to the AK. In all reality it's not except in accuracy. The AK saved my ass at 400yards seventeen times while I served in the Spetsnaz.

Spetsnaz for Life
That has nothing to do w/ the fact that the AR is the better overall firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood View Post
In the Russian military in the ****ty time of needing to reload in a firefight, we drew our pistols and slung our rifles simultaneously.

Spetsnaz for Life
Not real practical when your target is beyond handgun range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I have big enough hands that I can operate the safety with my trigger finger,and u can load a mag just as fast as an AR as long as you aren't worried about retention. Smack the mag release lever with the side of fresh mag and follow through to knock the old mag out before inserting new mag,very fast mag swaps with some practice using this technique.just the ways I overcome the ak's ergo issues

---Shoot To Thrill---
An AK reload has at least 1 more step than an AR considering the AK mag doesn't drop free. Then you have to chamber a round.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #25

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
An AK reload has at least 1 more step than an AR considering the AK mag doesn't drop free. Then you have to chamber a round.
With practice,knocking the old mag out and inserting a new one is pretty much one fluid motion. But if you ran the mag dry then you do have to charge the bolt carrier unlike an AR,i reach under with my support hand and hook the charging handle with my index finger and charge that way... Pretty quick. But that all takes practice,the AR does lend itself to faster operation I will admit

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #26

Love it! I own a heavy moded Yugo sks and I love it but my buds just got AK clone made with hungry parts Uzi type side folder stock and a shoty forward grip never fired in box 2 mags and 100 rounds for $500 cash from a local shop I shot it one handed all they could say was how bad ass I looked but then again in circle of friends I'm the gun Guy but I wanted an ar but now I'm a AK kinda Guy

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #27

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
People need more exposer w/ quality ARs.
We have it however it males us broke just viewing...

Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I have AK & AR style rifles and both will get the jobs they were designed for done. The AK is a heavier rifle, uses a larger/heavier round and is as tough as nails. It's more than accurate enough for self defense situations out to 200+ yards (can place shots into a paper plate sized target) and they are half the price of an AR. The AK is lighter, uses a smaller (more ammo per pound) bullet, has more options available and is more accurate at ranges beyond 200 yards.

For someone needing a weapon that will stand up to tough use and/or abuse on targets no longer than a city block or two distant, the AK is a better choice. If you feel the need for a rifle that can hit 1" targets at 400 yds you can easily customize - if you have the money - with every option or caliber imaginable, you'd be better off with an AR.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler View Post
We have it however it males us broke just viewing...
Maybe it's just late but your post is a little unclear.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:

Maybe it's just late but your post is a little unclear.
I think what hes getting at is he has been around quality AR's. They just cost and arm and a leg.

Closed Thread