Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Wondering? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/wondering-70317/)

PanBaccha 08-14-2012 06:44 PM

Wondering?

I'm wondering if I am over-doing it. I had just purchased a couple of months ago a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge shotgun.
And now I am this clo-o-o-o-se to purchasing at gun show Saturday a AK47 WASR 10/63. Wondering if I am on a binge,
and if a gun show would be the best place to search for item? Any thoughts or advise on gun shows? :confused:

c3shooter 08-14-2012 06:59 PM

Binging is when you buy a 500, and 4 days later buy a 590, and 3 days later a 500 in .410. and 2 days later an 1100. Trust me, you have not come CLOSE to the definition of binge buying. This from a man that bought 3 Remington 550-1's in one WEEK.

Gun shows- meh- they vary. Some can be very good, some OK, and some are a place you stock up on beef jerky and Tshirts that say Death From Above (made in China). Take a note pad, make one entire pass thru the show, make notes on who has what and how much. THEN go back, and talk with the folks you want to talk with.

IF you want to haggle, here are a couple of simple openings. Now, some folks will not haggle, may tell you to pound sand, but some may- if you approach it the right way.

#1- Excuse me, could you tell me what your price is on this? It's $xx. Thank you. Is that your best price? (Wait)

#2. Could you please tell me what you are asking for this? It is $XYX. Thanks- do you have any wiggle room in that price? (wait)

Neither is insulting, both are an invitation to wheel and deal. They may or may not take you up on it- but it IS a lot of fun!

therewolf 08-14-2012 07:11 PM

Do your homework, know your prices and values.

Some deals are really good, haggle or no, but this is becoming a

rare animal, these days.

Most of the sellers at gun shows now are hoping to cash in on

the high percentage of folks out there with more money

than brains...

orangello 08-14-2012 08:08 PM

My shooting buddy loves his WASR, but others have reported some issues with quality. Take a good look at the front sight unit to see if it may be canted left or right; me personally, if a dealer has a WASR on display with canted sights, i would move on to another dealer after pointing it out to them.

I would make a short list of local & online prices along with shipping costs and local dealers' transfer costs. That might get you a "well if you don't mind waiting, then order it online", but i would risk it myself.

PanBaccha 08-14-2012 09:15 PM

Thank you fellas for the advise! Good ones. C3, wow, you're an alcoholic!

c3shooter 08-14-2012 09:42 PM

Don't be silly- I can stop anytime I want to. Now help me get this extra gun safe in the house....:D

winds-of-change 08-14-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 903720)
I'm wondering if I am over-doing it. I had just purchased a couple of months ago a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge shotgun.
And now I am this clo-o-o-o-se to purchasing at gun show Saturday a AK47 WASR 10/63. Wondering if I am on a binge,
and if a gun show would be the best place to search for item? Any thoughts or advise on gun shows? :confused:

Hahaha,.......you post on a gun site that you bought a shotgun a couple months ago and now you're going to buy an AK7...........then you wonder if you're overdoing it.

Yeeeaah, riiiiight.

I want to see pictures of the AK after you buy it. :D

CHLChris 08-14-2012 10:46 PM

Just one a week, that's all we ask.

nfafan 08-15-2012 01:43 AM

The best part of the gun-show WASRs is that you can hand-inspect them all.

Look for the typical issues of front-site cant, gas-block/barrel cant.

WASRs are gnarly by nature, but all of mine have 100%. Just ugly. Go here for all things Romanian...

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/links.shtml

Also at the show - you just might find a SAR, MAADI, Zastava PAP, MAK90 - whatever.

vincent 08-15-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 903727)
Binging is when you buy a 500, and 4 days later buy a 590, and 3 days later a 500 in .410. and 2 days later an 1100. Trust me, you have not come CLOSE to the definition of binge buying. This from a man that bought 3 Remington 550-1's in one WEEK.

Gun shows- meh- they vary. Some can be very good, some OK, and some are a place you stock up on beef jerky and Tshirts that say Death From Above (made in China). Take a note pad, make one entire pass thru the show, make notes on who has what and how much. THEN go back, and talk with the folks you want to talk with.

IF you want to haggle, here are a couple of simple openings. Now, some folks will not haggle, may tell you to pound sand, but some may- if you approach it the right way.

#1- Excuse me, could you tell me what your price is on this? It's $xx. Thank you. Is that your best price? (Wait)

#2. Could you please tell me what you are asking for this? It is $XYX. Thanks- do you have any wiggle room in that price? (wait)

Neither is insulting, both are an invitation to wheel and deal. They may or may not take you up on it- but it IS a lot of fun!

QFT on the red..at least in my experience here in the mid-atlantic...

If you're going into a show, just simply know what you want and what to look for...it's an impulse buyers Mecca...I've come out of shows with stuff I've yet to use...(It's still cool to have it though...:D )

Indulge the binge...if the WASR is a good deal, get it!!! You know what to look for, and what to stay away from...

And there better be some pics for us!!! :D