Why did you buy an AK? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Why did you buy an AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
Because I wanted to have one in my collection.

I also wanted to be familiar with the system and how to tear it apart. It is not my favorite by any means and I wish I could swap it for an AK-74.

It is a safe queen now and I use it for demonstration purposes only. I still have half of the original case of ammo when I purchased both in the mid 90's.

I can see why people like them. If mine wasn't a jam o matic, lighter, and the folding stock more secure, it would be a great gun!
Ak...both ak47 and ak74 are AKs.Jam o matic?well it all depends how much money spent for it and it origin(e.g. romanian and egyptian aks are poorely made)...Aks aren't generally known for jaming(just try a yugo/hungarian/izraeli....then you'll see).You can upgrade it in several ways(make it lighter,foldin stock,etc....there are so many accessories out there).I can send you a coulpe of pictures of modified ak(tactical)...used by police special forces

Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1365 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3441

I bought my AK for one simply reason, simplicity. Having been raised up with the M16A1 and A2, I knew that when the time came I did not want a mess of parts laying about when I needed to clean it.

My AK is very accurate with its Iron Sights and even more so with the scope. Now it was not when I got it. But I bought the sighting tool, Bore Sight, and a bunch of ammo and got it fine tuned. I have also done the same with my SKS and PSL-54.

Having said that, I am in the market for an AK-74.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Fist of all just because I have always wanted one besides being reliable, not many parts and easy to maintain and clean, most of all I love the looks of them, what's not to love about these rifles.

Keep calm, carry on

TDS92A Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #34

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

The main reasons to get an AK are it's cheap and it works.

I got a WASR about seven years ago because it was cheap. (There weren't many good semiautos in their pricerange.) More importantly I've kept it because it works.

And as others have said ammo is cheap compared to other center fires and the rifle is a lot of fun. When I take out everybody wants to shoot it! Yeah, it's a no-brainer - I'm keeping it!

Sadly, AKs aren't that cheap anymore so you now must compare them with competing designs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sadly, AKs aren't that cheap anymore so you now must compare them with competing designs.
You got that right, I looked around for a while, finally I purchased 1979 Romanian AKM-47 with chromed barrel and new stamped receiver for $620.00. But it is still cheaper to shoot than a 9mm.

Keep calm, carry on

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #36

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The main reasons to get an AK are it's cheap and it works.

I got a WASR about seven years ago because it was cheap. (There weren't many good semiautos in their pricerange.) More importantly I've kept it because it works.

And as others have said ammo is cheap compared to other center fires and the rifle is a lot of fun. When I take out everybody wants to shoot it! Yeah, it's a no-brainer - I'm keeping it!

This is true and Im going to show my age , but I remember like 15 or 20 years ago at a local gun show I could have bought SKS for $79.99 and AK47s for $99.99 or you could buy a case of 10 for $700 on the SKS's and $900 on the AK's . Damn what was I thinking back then

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
This is true and Im going to show my age , but I remember like 15 or 20 years ago at a local gun show I could have bought SKS for $79.99 and AK47s for $99.99 or you could buy a case of 10 for $700 on the SKS's and $900 on the AK's . Damn what was I thinking back then
After just paying $620.00 for one, hearing this physically hurts.

Keep calm, carry on

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #38

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
I want to own both the ar15 and an ak rifle but i dont know which i should buy first to start off? Im thinking ar15 since ammo is at walmart more often and accessories are everywhere then an ak. What do you guys think?
Personally , I'd buy the one that's on sale at the moment. Dunhams Sports has 7.62x39 ammo out the wazoo and its fairly cheap.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb522 View Post
Personally , I'd buy the one that's on sale at the moment. Dunhams Sports has 7.62x39 ammo out the wazoo and its fairly cheap.
Hard to believe anything is fairly cheap at Dunhams, I needed some .410 shells and Dunhams had them on sale at $17.99 regularly $19.99 for a box of Remington 4 shot, Walmart has them for $11.99 everyday low price. I swore never to set foot back in Dunhams. This is the one in Wooster Ohio, maybe other Dunhams are ok I can't say, but what I can say is beware of the Wooster Ohio branch.

Keep calm, carry on

Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Next on my list is another foreign weapon that is on my must have list . Dragunov , . Normally I buy guns monthly or bi monthly depending on price but this one is gonna set back a few other guns on my list for a while until I get the right one picked up . Yet another simple design with that reach out and touch you 7.62 x 54R

Couldn't afford the Dragunov at the time so instead I picked up a Romanian PSL....and it's also 7.62 x 54R....like my Mosin-Nagants.

Similar in response to the Dragunov.

As for why I bought an AK? I just wanted one not to mention I like how it looks.