Why did you buy an AK? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Why did you buy an AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Well id like to javelina hunt with them and also id love to go plinking and maybe some competition with an ar so i think i might do an ar first since i can do more with. it ak last i dont know of any competition shooters that use an ak

Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #22

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well...accessories and customizations...are both available for AK band AR15...think twice

Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #23

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts

Why would you not want one? They are a proven battle rifle. They shoot through cinder blocks and car doors. They hold a lot of rounds. They have loose tolerances and almost never jam. They don't have many parts and there are a lot of options available to customize them. They are accurate enough and easy to clean. Ammo has always been available. I routinely find it at my LGS for $27 to $29 for 100 rounds. One more thing, they are a blast to shoot. Brings a huge smile anytime I do. Big bang and not much recoil. You can feel that big spring inside working. They also look the business. What's not to love?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Next on my list is another foreign weapon that is on my must have list . Dragunov , . Normally I buy guns monthly or bi monthly depending on price but this one is gonna set back a few other guns on my list for a while until I get the right one picked up . Yet another simple design with that reach out and touch you 7.62 x 54R

That's a romanian psl not a dragunov. Two entirely different guns nothing even remotely similar other than the caliber.

I got an ak was 10/63 cuz I got a great deal on ammo and its a cheap suppressive fire rifle using drums if shtf ever happens. Other than that I don't really like the ak47 pattern much. Too cheaply built cheap means breakage over extended use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are consider between AK and AR you have to ask yourself a question:
- which do you want - AK or AKM/AKMS or first version of AR (M16A1/A2) or modern AR with RIS/RAS rails one?!

Since both projects AR were deeply modernized and now you can buy one naked but with rails and only goodies which you want/need - vertical grips, flip-up sights, optics, red dots, lasers and flashlights without any other extra mounts. Thanks to it you can save a lot of money.

Unfortunately AKs ergonomics are still the same. Not many countries made modifications to them which will be available cheap as demobil parts or in common use in any army.
So with AK platform you have to buy and mount a loto of things to make it ready for goodies like optics, red dots, flash lights etc.

In my case I spend about 600 PLN (ca. $220) for front grip with rail, Beryl RIS rail, gunsmith.
Ofcourse if I would like to add rails the same which are available in US the cost will be higher!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

PSL have different stock and mag. I'm not so sure about this pic.

AK are not cheaply built. Not orginal ones.
These available in US can be built that because you have your laws which make everything simpler if rifle are assembled on your land with US made parts which can be not integrated with mixed other parts from different countries.

In my AKMSN I have never had any jam or something and I'm not always clean it after shooting. Sometimes only spray it with McKennick or Balistol and thats all.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I bought a Mini-14 in college because that was all I could afford. It was such a royal POS I traded it off on an AR as soon as I got a real job with real pay. A few years, and 2nd AR, later, Chinese SKS's were dumped on the US market. I bought one because it was less than $100 (with 40 rounds of ammo).

The SKS turned out to be such a reliable and accurate platform, I decided to expand my stock on rifles in that caliber. I found a nice Polish underfolder for about $500 and have not been dissapointed. Accurate enough, reliable, easy to maintain and cheap to feed.

I have resisted the urge to expand into different calibers of the same platform (except for my Saiga 12 ga). .223/5.56mm is best left to the AR platform. 5.45 X 39 ammo is at the whim of the President who can stop importation with the stroke of the pen (also why I have not gotten into the 7.62 X 54r).

I do yearn for the days of $4.00 boxes of Winchester White Box 7.62 X 39 ammo (sitting at $20 currently) and am careful about using my reloadable ammo in places brass might be hard to recover.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #28

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Because they're so bad ass........

image-3570684134.jpg

But truth be told, they are the Glock of the rifle world as stated earlier. So easy to maintain and will always function.

Later,

Cracker7

Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #29

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I only bought an AK because I didn't know how to build them at that time.
Now I only build them, & as long as my stockpile parts kits holds up I'll be building for a while.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #30

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Because I wanted to have one in my collection.

I also wanted to be familiar with the system and how to tear it apart. It is not my favorite by any means and I wish I could swap it for an AK-74.

It is a safe queen now and I use it for demonstration purposes only. I still have half of the original case of ammo when I purchased both in the mid 90's.

I can see why people like them. If mine wasn't a jam o matic, lighter, and the folding stock more secure, it would be a great gun!