Why did you buy an AK? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Why did you buy an AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2021 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 6005

Because I wanted one. . . or two..
_winer_ Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #12

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
I have other AKs , but this one is my favorite, Zastava made,Serbian ,very nice quality.
The reason I want it is, it will shoot for a week or more, everyday, without cleaning even pulled thru a mud hole.
If SHTF this, and my SKS will be my go to, even over my ARs or Mini 14s.
btw, my SKS is as accurate as my mini 14.
What kind of rail system to you have on that?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default ....maybe because it is the the most effective rifle ever made?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
As I've been tooling up on my list has been to purchase a "Magazine-fed semiautomatic rifle in a military caliber".

By the time I saved up the money, Newtown happened and I ended up sitting around waiting because I knew prices would come down eventually and it would take a long time for any gun control legislation to take effect, if ever. I was also pretty set on a Ruger Mini-14 and figured they would probably escape legislation again. I won't get into details of why I was looking at the Mini-14 instead of an AR or AK.

Like I posted in the picture thread, I ended up with a Golani. There was a used one for sale at a local gun range and while I was aware of Century Arms spotty reputation for anything other than WASR's I did some research, talked at length with the manager, and decided to take the plunge. I looked at regular AK's and there were a few reasons I didn't want to buy one, but I do like the general AK action, which the Golani shares.

For me the appeal was the AK-style action which I believe will be more tolerant of harsh conditions. As I hope to do some hog hunting some day this weapon may actually get some field use. While I am a big advocate of proper care and maintenance, I like having firearms that can handle a little dirt and grime. That doesn't mean I'm going to drop it in mud, stomp on it, and try to fire it. I've handled, but not fired, Kalashnikov in the past but had not realized until I bought the Golani how ridiculously simple the action is compared to your standard AR-15 setup. It is almost crude, but it works.

Why did you decide to go with an AK pattern weapon?

(FYI - This is not an either/or thread. I may yet purchase an AR-15, Mini-14, or SKS here in the near future. Even looking at a Tavor.)
The AK (In my case,Zastava M70AB2) was the second rifle I handled and shot in my life.I used it on the battlefield, at the range and for hunting.From extremely cold climates to extremely hot climates it always work.Neither a single malfunction.It will work under any circumstances.I only had to pay particular attention to the mags(The Yugo ones are obviously the best...don't feed the rifle with the russian, chinese or romanian mag....it may result in feeding failure or jams).This is why I choose AK.

Why I choose a M70?
-Non-chrome-lined barrel=More accurate(DISAD=More exposed to the environment and to corrosive ammo)
-Capability of shooting rifle grenades=For fun, combat and civilian
-Higher rate of fire=till 725 rnds/min(Good to pin down a motherf****r, especially in CQC)
-RPK-like Trunion=Extended durability
-Relatively light, the weight is acceptable if compared to the other variants
-Natural-Born-Killer for CQC and tactical clearing
-As I already said...The M70 is one of my "oldest and best friend".

Another AK variant that is REALLY bad-ass is the GALIL family rifles(especially the ACE)=In my opinion the best AK ever made(Somebody would say it is not an AK...but...What the hell is supposed to be a rifle that shares 80-90+% of the AK design?

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 08-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

After shooting and handling a Galil clone, I can't say it isn't an AK pattern. The action is essentially the same. There are some features of the Galil I like better than a regular AK but if you take it down to fundamentals it does seem to share more in common with an AK than the AR and FAL that is supposedly borrows from as well.

However, I think that is a good thing. An AK that shoots as well as an AR is what I consider a great rifle. Not so sure it is as accurate as an AR but I did pretty good with it my first time out.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default IMI Galil & Galil ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
After shooting and handling a Galil clone, I can't say it isn't an AK pattern. The action is essentially the same. There are some features of the Galil I like better than a regular AK but if you take it down to fundamentals it does seem to share more in common with an AK than the AR and FAL that is supposedly borrows from as well.

However, I think that is a good thing. An AK that shoots as well as an AR is what I consider a great rifle. Not so sure it is as accurate as an AR but I did pretty good with it my first time out.
I totally agree with you!Especially the new Galil ACE is simply terrific!!!I think that the Galil design will be copied much that it has been in the past.For example, the new rifle from Zastava Arms, the M21, is actually a "Galilized" M70, chambered in 5.56x45 with new sights, similar safety/selector mechanism, trunnion, similar top cover an gas tube.Unfortunately, it is still not as good as the original Galil.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1288 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 554

I think everyone who owns a semi-automatic rifle should probably have an AR or an AK first.

Both carbines work really well and both have their strong points.

In simplistic terms, the AK is more affordable than an AR, given the cost of ammunition. The price of the carbine is a moo point- like the opinion of a cow.

It's pretty hard to jam a properly built AK and it doesn't take a lot of science or special tools to work on one. Whether you lubricate it properly or not, it tends to function.

The AK weighs more than the AR and its ergonomics are nothing to get excited about, but it gets the job done and it's a lot more accurate than most people like to give it credit for. Going from a peep sight to a notch and post requires some adjustment, but it works with some practice. If you put an optic on an AR and an AK, you'll notice that there's not a significant accuracy difference between the two.

They're fun to shoot, don't recoil like a .308, and you can afford to shoot them regularly.

All that said, the AR is still my carbine of choice. The ammunition costs more and it requires more maintenance, but ergonomics and light weight are important to me.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #17

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Don't laugh-I got one for a Birthday Present for my

daughter. She didn't take to it, tho...

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #18

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I will be getting an AK for Xmas. Why?

#1 cheaper than AR
#2 bigger round 7.62
#3 reliability
#4 meanest lookin rifle around. IMO
#5 you can customize to no end

To me its like the Glock of assault style rifles. Sure, Sigs and HK's may be better guns, but nothing beats a Glock for the price.. same goes for AKs and rifles

Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #19

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

I want to own both the ar15 and an ak rifle but i dont know which i should buy first to start off? Im thinking ar15 since ammo is at walmart more often and accessories are everywhere then an ak. What do you guys think?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #20

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I want to own both the ar15 and an ak rifle but i dont know which i should buy first to start off? Im thinking ar15 since ammo is at walmart more often and accessories are everywhere then an ak. What do you guys think?
Depends on what you are looking to do with your rifle.