Whats your favorite type of sks? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Whats your favorite type of sks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a Yugo SKS, and love it.
But I think that the SKS can be the greatest civilian "military style" rifle, with a few mods.
Preferably, I would have the SKS-D or SKS-M (the ones that take AK mags), and add a small ACOG sight, a thumbhole stock, a sling, the blade bayonet (not the spike one), maybe a muzzle brake, and a cartridge holder on/in the stock.
I think that is a great configuration.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #12

Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like my Yugo better than a Chinese SKS, I've owned two Chinese and really disliked the wood because it felt soft and cheap, I think it was Chu wood?

My Russian is the best in terms of SKS's though, I really like it the most.

Romanian SKS's are great too, identical to their Russian counterparts in almost every way, I regret selling the one I had.

Albanian ones, they're okay, the one I have is pretty worn out and the barrel is nearing the end of it's life, when I do the bullet test it nearly sits all the way to the case neck.
towboater Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3451 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Remember the Chinese Norincos are NOT milsurp. They were purpose made for export to the civilian markets. WTS, they are usually great shooters and since they were new when sent here, they have lots of life left in them.

The Rusians are older (the originals) and have seen some use. Most are very good shooters and are fairly gently used.

The Yugos are unique with the muzzle device and grenade sights. They are NOT chrome lined and were (mostly) actually issued to soldiers (true milsurp). Some have erosion problems both in the barrel and gas system. A nice Yugo is just that, nice.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #14

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39

I have a pre ban Norinco as well. It is one of my favorite rifles. The only reason its not my favorite rifle is the aesthetics. It could look a little cooler but it is balls accurate and built like a tank. Cheap ammo too. Parts a cheap and its a breeze to completely break down. I cannot comment intelligently on which one is best because mine is the only one I have shot but I absolutely love it.
I don't think mine is. Says nothing about norinco on it. In fact I can't pronounce what's on it.

Other than the serial this is the only markings on it.
image-3337305145.jpg  

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I don't think mine is. Says nothing about norinco on it. In fact I can't pronounce what's on it.

Other than the serial this is the only markings on it.
I think Shaanxi SKS's were imported by a company named Iaco?

From what I understand they were for Chinese police and non-military agencies and not made by Norinco.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Chinese M type

Whats your favorite type of sks? - AK & SKS Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #17

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Chinese M type

Whats your favorite type of sks? - AK & SKS Discussion
I have the same exact stock. Did you have to file your gas tube in order for it to fit? I did and hope I didnt file too much. It seems to fit as tight as the other, but I hope the pressure from the gas doesnt blow it off and send the piston through my eye hole.
I put the spike point bayonet on it and it is too long to fold down and fit in the groove on the stock.
I will try and locate a blade soon but just bought an AK and am not in the position to put any more money into it right now.
Does the optic work out well where you have it?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #18

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

What do you guys think about the yugo sks with the grenade launcher barrel?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #19

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
What do you guys think about the yugo sks with the grenade launcher barrel?
A great gun , but a lot of legal loopholes.
The grenade launcher makes it purely a C&R gun, and modifying it in any way is supposed to remove it's C&R status, then you have to follow the confusing 922r, blah, blah, blah.
I still see people at gun shows, online, etc. with theirs modded.
Just sayin its cool, but don't let the media find out you have a "grenade launcher"
The 22mm spigot grenade launchers aren't good for anything, anymore.
They haven't made them or grenades since about post-Korea.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #20

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I have the same exact stock. Did you have to file your gas tube in order for it to fit? I did and hope I didnt file too much. It seems to fit as tight as the other, but I hope the pressure from the gas doesnt blow it off and send the piston through my eye hole.
I put the spike point bayonet on it and it is too long to fold down and fit in the groove on the stock.
I will try and locate a blade soon but just bought an AK and am not in the position to put any more money into it right now.
Does the optic work out well where you have it?
The optic is OK but it's a cheapo thing that I really want to replace. I had no real use for the bayonet so it got gone.
I have also added a muzzle break since this pic was taken. The shorter bbl made it more enticing to add. I'll see about snapping a newer pic maybe tonight

No, mine fit fine. I've hears others did though. Be really careful to not take too much off though. You'll know pretty quick if you did. It wont work real well if there's a leak there.

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 09-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.