What's the REAL accuracy of an AK chambered in 7,62x39?300-400m!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > What's the REAL accuracy of an AK chambered in 7,62x39?300-400m!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default What's the REAL accuracy of an AK chambered in 7,62x39?300-400m!

Shooting accurately at 300-400m with an AK chambered in 7,62x39.Is it a myth or just the truth?

The real accuracy of the AK platform is a matter of discussion since its invention-usually defined as very poor. In my opinion, a well modified AK rifle, chambered in 7,62x39, can be accurate till 400m(I mean...average usage...using iron sight till 200m (220 yards), using a optics at 200+ m).
Assuming that building your own gun is far better than buying one(In terms of quality), you can reach a high level of accuracy by taking in consideration the following factors:

WHAT CAN IMPROVE THE ACCURACY OF AND AK(7,62x39)?

BARREL LENGHT
Usually, the standard barrel length an AK is about 415mm.You should replace it with a 50-100mm longer,possibly match-grade(May sounds weird, but trust me, they exists!).The barrel is going to be heavier, but it will affect positively the accuracy

GAS TUBE & GAS BLOCK
The gas tube must not be too tight, the gasblock must not exert any pressure/stringing effect on the barrel.

BOLT CARRIER
The bolt carrier should be lightened by drilling a couple of holes in it(ZASTAVA M21 LIKE)-a lighter bolt mean less moving mass, this make the rifle cycle faster and more controllable during rapid fire(=more accurate).A rubber-bolt-stop can be also usefull.

TRIGGER GROUP
An high-grade aluminium trigger group is far better than the default steal one.An aluminium trigger needs 32 ms to hit the striker, the steal one 63 ms.
Faster trigger=More accuracy(E.g. you have less time to move the rifle, the target has less time to move and let you miss it)

TRUNNIONS
The trunnions MUST be aligned.This is simply a MUST have for any rifle.Because you cannot expect that your rifle will be accurate, if your buttstock is not aligned with the barrel(This is critical especially in whe the receiver is milled)

BUTTSTOCK
It must fit your arms and face.Each shooter has a different arms length, cheek position and eye-relief point.Never underestimate the importance of a good buttstock, it is not just a matter of comfort/tactical effectiveness.I suggest you to try several buttstocks to figure out what is the one that fits you.

SIGHTS
Upgrade/replace the sights as soon as possible.The default sight are a very "crude" thing.Even if you stick to the iron sights, there are some very nice and improved iron sights out there-even compatible with the AK platform.

ACCESSORIES AND AMMO
Let's face it...a muzzle brake/muzzle-climb limiter can be very a useful accessory during rapid fire.So can be a foldable bipod(tactical foregrip).
The ammo must no be cheap.Cheap things never offer you the best performance.

Fell free to comment this post.I would be glad to hear you opinion(and why not....learn something new).

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 10-01-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

All depends on the person's definition of accuracy. I know for a fact that my (almost) stock MAK-90 will hit our 16" gong set at 650yds every time you want it to, but only most of the time at the 850 gong. Cheap steel case ammo. Standing, rifle against a deck post, not down on a bag.
Precision accuracy? No. Ive got bolt guns for that. Adequate for what it is? Yes.
Milk jugs at our 350 plates are no problem for it, but have never tried an actual group with it.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For me and my stick AK I have no priblen hitting man size targets out to 400 or so yards. Standing, open sites, steel ammo. With my buddys "custom" optics AK its a bit easier. Had a scoped AK once that shot better than I could at that range.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

so good it must be fake

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1369 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3476

Nice shootin' there "Tex"!!

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx

The said part about this video, if it was filmed in Canada (ignoring the fact we can't own AK-47 style rifles), he would of had to reload 24 times.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762 View Post
For me and my stick AK I have no priblen hitting man size targets out to 400 or so yards. Standing, open sites, steel ammo. With my buddys "custom" optics AK its a bit easier. Had a scoped AK once that shot better than I could at that range.
Eh...that's good for you if it is true.But I don't think so.At 220 yards, shooting an standard AK with standard iron sights would result in 1/5 hits(It means 1 hit, 4 misses).At 220 yards(200 m) the AK rifle it's terribly inaccurate.In addition to that,using iron sights after 200 m is simply stupid...with any rifle.
You can talk to any veteran that used AK in combat...the majority of them will tell you that using an AK at more than 100-150m is simply stupid.I'm a former JNA and TO veteran(I used the M70 on the field and the M70 is one of the finest AKs out there), trust me:That statement is completely true!
On the other hand....sure...you can shoot your AK at the range, with best weather condition, optimal temperatures, optimal ammo, optimal shooting position, no wind, no one that is shooting you(= no need for a cover) and you have the damn whole day to shoot 1 round.At these conditions I would believe you when you say that you can hit a man sized target at that range.I could hit a target at 1000 yards away with an AK at these conditions.
Your post reminds me an old urban leggend that was popular within the JNA(Yugoslavian People Army):
"With the M70 you can hit a target: at 700 m in semi-auto, at 400m in semi-auto while firing rapidly(rapid-fire) and at 200m in full-auto".
I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYBODY SUCCEDED IN DOING THAT IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Well it was found on the Internet so you know it has to be true.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth
Eh...that's good for you if it is true.But I don't think so.At 220 yards, shooting an standard AK with standard iron sights would result in 1/5 hits(It means 1 hit, 4 misses).At 220 yards(200 m) the AK rifle it's terribly inaccurate.In addition to that,using iron sights after 200 m is simply stupid...with any rifle. You can talk to any veteran that used AK in combat...the majority of them will tell you that using an AK at more than 100-150m is simply stupid.I'm a former JNA and TO veteran(I used the M70 on the field and the M70 is one of the finest AKs out there), trust me:That statement is completely true! On the other hand....sure...you can shoot your AK at the range, with best weather condition, optimal temperatures, optimal ammo, optimal shooting position, no wind, no one that is shooting you(= no need for a cover) and you have the damn whole day to shoot 1 round.At these conditions I would believe you when you say that you can hit a man sized target at that range.I could hit a target at 1000 yards away with an AK at these conditions. Your post reminds me an old urban leggend that was popular within the JNA(Yugoslavian People Army): "With the M70 you can hit a target: at 700 m in semi-auto, at 400m in semi-auto while firing rapidly(rapid-fire) and at 200m in full-auto". I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYBODY SUCCEDED IN DOING THAT IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!

I know it's not an AK, but I've hit a target at 200m with a C7 while on automatic.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
At 220 yards, shooting an standard AK with standard iron sights would result in 1/5 hits(It means 1 hit, 4 misses).At 220 yards(200 m) the AK rifle it's terribly inaccurate.In addition to that,using iron sights after 200 m is simply stupid...with any rifle.
You seem to say all that like it is law that an AK at 220 law can only ever hit 1/5 hits, which is completely not true. A good shooter could do much better than 1/5 hits at only 220 yards.

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.