What is your "SKS of choice"??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > What is your "SKS of choice"???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
You're not late, you're welcome.To be honest, many people told me tthe same thing you did.I'm not turning a rifle into another rifle, I'm working on a design that was abandoned before it could reach its full potential.The sks is a reliable, easy to operate platform.The rifle strong points are the accuracy, reliability and it's easy to operate and to maintain, the weak points consist mainly in the limited mag capacity, its overal lenght and the ergonomics are not the best.Nobody "really" worked on them, since other platforms took it place.I want to bring its design to a new level....to see if the "grandfather rifle" can compete with the "grandson's rifle"(and for fun).I want to fix the original design's mistakes and to share my ideas with the community(if I'll reach my goals) and to make the "technology" accessible to everyone(the drawings will be available to anyone who might be interested-I decided to redesign the trigger group)

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app
Really???? Minute of man to 300 yards but the 7.62x39 isn't a M.O.A. cartridge even with hand loads in an AK/SKS think 2"-4" @ 100yards. If you want to "tinker" with a gun try a Finnish Mosin Nagant or a AR-15 for accuracy.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2203 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash1138 View Post
Really???? Minute of man to 300 yards but the 7.62x39 isn't a M.O.A. cartridge even with hand loads in an AK/SKS think 2"-4" @ 100yards. If you want to "tinker" with a gun try a Finnish Mosin Nagant or a AR-15 for accuracy.
There is no reason to think an SKS is a dead end project. Granted is not a precision rifle out of the crate, it is also a half forgotten platform. Not all x39 cartridges are mil surp or east euro. I for one don't know what "MOA" the 7.62x39 is capable of, because I haven't tried the best of the bunch. TW tinkering with any Mosin also commits you to an ancient rifle round.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #23

Default Mine is a Chinese "para model"

Can't say I've shot it very much. It's accurate with the 4X scope I stuck on it. This is my second one of these. The first one did not reload by itself. I personally delivered it to the distributor. Maybe the left a part out at the factory. Took awhile but it's replacement functions flawlessly.

It came with what I will laughingly refer to as a stock. I got a composite replacement at a gun show. The original was a slab of cheap but sturdy wood. It handled like an entirely different rifle with the American made replacement. It's heavy for a sporter/plinker but I trust it.

I paid $100 for it and heard that other guys got them for $79. I had a Kalashnikov from Hungary. Accuracy with the AK was nowhere's near as good as the SKS but it was more fun to shoot. I sold it because California where I resided when I owned the AK was making it so difficult to simply own and shoot it, I did not think it was worth the trouble.

I like the SKS and would not mind relying on it in a pinch. P.S. To my knowledge a para-SKS is fiction...it was simply a merchandising gimmick.

AAW

Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
There is no reason to think an SKS is a dead end project. Granted is not a precision rifle out of the crate, it is also a half forgotten platform. Not all x39 cartridges are mil surp or east euro. I for one don't know what "MOA" the 7.62x39 is capable of, because I haven't tried the best of the bunch. TW tinkering with any Mosin also commits you to an ancient rifle round.
I wouldn't dead end it either, trigger & firing pin work and a set of peep sights and you've got a rocking rifle. As far as the Mosin 7.62x54 being ancient, your right but still being used by mother Russia, hummm let's see how old the 9mm para, 45acp and the 30-06 are? 100+ years old and still doing pretty good

Mark, not trying to talk you out of your project just suggesting some of the easier, safer, & cost efficient ways to improve the SKS and have more $$$$ for ammo. Even with 10rd fixed mags the have a healthy appetite.

ps I remember when I 1st got my Chi-Com SKS and getting 1K rounds of ammo delivered for $80

Last edited by Kalash1138; 01-09-2014 at 02:48 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2203 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Quote:
As far as the Mosin 7.62x54 being ancient, your right but still being used by mother Russia, hummm let's see how old the 9mm para, 45acp and the 30-06 are? 100+ years old and still doing pretty good

It is true that our most popular handgun calibers are 100 some years old. The centerfire rifle cartridges used by the military and LE today are half that age or less.

I called the 7.62x54R ancient for the lack of a better word. It was partially obsolete even a century ago. The Mosin receiver had to incorporate a specially designed interrupter, a separate part that broke down relatively often during WW1. None of the contemporary main battle rifles needed it.

The 7.62x54 is a good solid round. I shoot it myself. There is just no evidence of it being more accurate, apples to apples, than the 7.62x39. An SKS project makes as much sense as a Mosin, but may be even more fun.

Last edited by Mercator; 01-09-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #26

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
ps I remember when I 1st got my Chi-Com SKS and getting 1K rounds of ammo delivered for $80
I long for those days
However, at last weeks gun show i did see the price of 1k rounds back down to $229

Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 AM   #27

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
I wouldn't dead end it either, trigger & firing pin work and a set of peep sights and you've got a rocking rifle. As far as the Mosin 7.62x54 being ancient, your right but still being used by mother Russia, hummm let's see how old the 9mm para, 45acp and the 30-06 are? 100+ years old and still doing pretty good

Mark, not trying to talk you out of your project just suggesting some of the easier, safer, & cost efficient ways to improve the SKS and have more $$$$ for ammo. Even with 10rd fixed mags the have a healthy appetite.

I undestand what you was about, no problem.I know that there are many other (better) platforms to start with, but it is not the same...let's call it... "challenge".I'm already designing the new trigger group(almost done, but I still don't know where to place the new disconnector(I have several options).Making it full auto would be much easier).My main problem is the trigger group:It must fit its original location(no gunsmitting required by the end user), must be removable as in the original design, must be suitable for detach. mags,have an integrated pistol grip and be as reliable as the original one.I dont have much space for everything.

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app
Old 01-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #28

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have a beater Norinco. Accuracy is good reliability is good. I am having some fitment issues because it's not a matching rifle. I need to do some fitting on it before it's really shootable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #29

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

All things you don't need with a good AK. It has an optics rail. The trigger is light and smooth if you have a double hook. Some models have folding stocks so if you work in or around vehicles it's easier to use.

I'm not sure why you'd choose a 10 round fixed magazine rifle to turn into a machine gun, but more importantly unless you're looking to spend serious time in the federal slam it's not a particularly good idea.

As a general purpose battle rifle, I'd choose a SCAR-H or even an AK over the SKS any day of the week. The SKS doesn't do anything the AK doesn't do and the cost of the SKS has risen substantially.

Marksman's rifle? Really? A cheap hunting rifle from Academy is going to better at that.

Modern assault rifles generally have detachable magazines and lighter ammunition, like the AK-74 and AR-15. I wouldn't hold your breath on the Russians resuming production of the SKS. It was replaced for a reason.

When you try to turn a gun into a Swiss Army knife, it generally does everything poorly.

The SKS is longer than it needs to be, heavier than it needs to be, uses stripper clips, and doesn't have a particularly good optics mounting solution. The iron sights are 19th century technology. So yeah, I guess I don't see it being a particularly good choice for any of that. If it's all you have then it's all you have but there are so many better choices available these days.
Yes these things are true. But it's a bit like the m1 garand. Antiquated design but combat proven. Its better suited as a mid range get off me gun. Won't work well in a prolonged firefight, but effective enough for a getaway. Oh and your missing their best selling point, compared to other options they're cheap.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #30

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
tinkering with any Mosin also commits you to an ancient rifle round.
There are new platforms, like the VEPR, which use that round, however.

And you can get Hornady, Barnes, Speer, and most major brands of

7.62X54R which is boxer primed, brass, and non-corrosive.(which

usually means "less corrosive")

Probably the worst thing you can say about the caliber, is it's rim

very badly hampers double stacking in a magazine.