Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   What is your "SKS of choice"??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/what-your-sks-choice-102070/)

Mark_Van_Goth 12-28-2013 10:07 AM

What is your "SKS of choice"???

All the SKS are based the same Simonov's design but each country that manufactured it locally has made some modification to the original.

What SKS do you own and why did you choose it among all the others?

therewolf 12-28-2013 11:46 AM

I like my Russian best, of the two I have. Great balance,

flawless performance, beautifully made.

But I will say this about the Yugos with the GL.

The extra weight on the front of the barrel acts as a

counterbalance to recoil, and helps you get back on

target.

towboater 12-28-2013 02:07 PM

I have only my Russian SKS. Ive owned a few Chinese, they were Ok, but sold em.

robocop10mm 12-28-2013 03:55 PM

None of them are serious rifles by today's standards. They are an outdated design (flame on). WTS the original is probably "best". The Romanian and Albanian being close second. I like the Yugo the least because of the lack of chrome bore/chamber/gas system. The Norinco is in a different class. They are not Mil-Surp, but rather commercial copies. I have two Norinco's and they work. They are just shooters and they shoot well.

nosaj 12-28-2013 05:36 PM

I have a Norinco and it has proven to be 100% reliable. It would be my choice for an open sight battle rifle. (not opening a debate)---just choosing out of my own guns

Copeman60 12-28-2013 08:29 PM

The norinco is the Chinese sks right?? Can they use the standard ak47 mags? If so that's a huge advantage over the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Jagermeister 12-28-2013 08:41 PM

Mine is Russian made. No complaints. Never fired a Chinese one, so maybe I am biased. Never cared for Romanian rifles. Not well made like other Soviet bloc countries. Yugos, Czechs, Polish, etc.....

nosaj 12-28-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copeman60 (Post 1468991)
The norinco is the Chinese sks right?? Can they use the standard ak47 mags? If so that's a huge advantage over the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Yes Norinco is chinese. The only SKS that will accept an Ak mag is the SKS-D i believe

zaitsev44 12-28-2013 10:41 PM

I have a Yugo M59/66A1, and I love it. Like stated previously, the grenade launcher acts like a counterbalance. And yes, the lack of a chrome lined bore is a bit of a disadvantage, but I don't shoot hundreds and hundreds of corrosive ammo in damp, swampy conditions to make it necessary to have a chrome bore, even though it'd be nice. I've handled Albanian, Yugo, Chinese (both Norinco and Type 56s), and Russian SKS's, and I like the feel of the Russian and Yugo the best. The Russian has a nice smooth feel to it, and the Yugo has a good, rugged feel. All in all I like my Yugo IMO.

JonM 12-28-2013 10:44 PM

Not a fan of the sks design. If I was going to get one it would have to be chrome lined chamber bore gas piston