What makes Arsenals worth the money?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > What makes Arsenals worth the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What makes Arsenals worth the money?

What is it about an Arsenal ak 47 that makes it worth so much more than other Ak's. I know they are supposed to be great quality, but what specifically is the difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

An actual 47? They are collector items now. 62 years old now.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
An actual 47? They are collector items now. 62 years old now.
no I mean the ones that the company Arsenal are currently producing.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Arsenal AK's

There are Bulgarian manufucatured Arsenal AK's, and American assembled (Las Vegas Nevada) Arsenal AK's (ARSENAL INC). The American built AK's use a combination of Bulgarian parts and US manufactured parts. The US built AK's can be had with either stamped or milled recievers.

I purchased a US built Arsenal under-folder AK with the milled reciever last year, and paid a pretty high price for it. A buddy had one just like the one I eventually purchased , and I was convinced that the build quality and tighter assembly tolerances made it a better quality weapon, so I was willing to pay the price (about 2 X what I could buy a low end AK for at the time).

I have two AR's, a 1980's vintage Colt SP1, and a brand new RRA Elite Comp. My Arsenal AK is not as accurate as my AR's, but I did not expect it to be. However, I am a mechanical engineer, and I do appreciate good build quality and tighter tolerances, so I was prepared to spend the extra $$ on the AK.

I am very satisfied with the US made Arsenal, and I think that the extra money was well spent. Lately, I have "helped" two co-workers find and purchase AK's. Obviously in today's environment, their selections were highly influenced by "what they could find". One purchased a Yugoslavian built AK, and the other purchased a Bulgarian built Arsenal (both with stamped receivers). IMHO, the Bulgarian built Arsenal AK looked and felt like a "tighter" rifle than the Yugo. The Yugo AK seemed to me to be a bit sloppy in feel and fit-up. Neither of these guns "felt" as tight or "solid" as my miller reciever US built Arsenal. However, I did not spend much time with either rifle, other than "teaching" the new owners how to shoot and clean them.

However, neither myself or my two co-workers bought our AK's with the intent of shooting sub-MOA groups at 100 yards. That's what the AR's are for. My two co-workers paid 1/2 (Yugo) to 2/3rds (Bulgarian Arsenal) of what I paid a year ago for my US built AK.

In summary, all parties (myself included) are very satisfied with the AK's that we now own. A cheaper (and maybe a bit sloppier) AK will do the job that it ws intended to do. If you are a bit anal about quality and fit-up (as I am) then you can work your way up the chain and pay more money for what suits you.

Good Luck!

TXnorton
Katy, Texas