Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > what do you think I should do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
will the 7.62 communist block AK47 still can shoot the Nato 7.62 round
Nope. And they never did. And yes, had someone try to hand me that same line of crap.

The AK 47 uses the 7.62 x 39. That translates to a 30 cal bullet, in a case 39 mm long. The 7.62 NATO is 7.62 x 51. It is 12mm (about half an inch) LONGER than the AK rd.

Same folks will try to tell you the AK or SKS can shoot the M-16 5.56mm cartridge, that stocks for the M-16 were made by Mattel, and that M-16 bullets tumble in flight. Known as latrine rumors.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Nope. And they never did. And yes, had someone try to hand me that same line of crap.

The AK 47 uses the 7.62 x 39. That translates to a 30 cal bullet, in a case 39 mm long. The 7.62 NATO is 7.62 x 51. It is 12mm (about half an inch) LONGER than the AK rd.

Same folks will try to tell you the AK or SKS can shoot the M-16 5.56mm cartridge, that stocks for the M-16 were made by Mattel, and that M-16 bullets tumble in flight. Known as latrine rumors.
Thank you for the info, it was at the indoctrination when the issued the M-14 to us that they said to never try a 7.62 Russian in our M-14, that what I was going be, also as for the tumbling round for the 15/16, we were told some units were testing them out, also something about a round that when it leaves the barrell would split into three fragments, but never heard any thing else.
I guess now I know the rest of the story.

Layton

Old 07-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2606 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 202

It just amazes me these military legends pervade to this day. I really wonder if DI's/other instructors were that stupid of people heard the BS "in basic" from some stupid recruit. I guess as a part of that whole "breaking down/building up" crap the memories might get a bit screwed up and the dumba$$ rumor from the dip-sh!t in the next bunk is remembered as coming from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

About the only one of these stories that may be correct is them using our 81mm morters in their 82mm tubes

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
It just amazes me these military legends pervade to this day. I really wonder if DI's/other instructors were that stupid of people heard the BS "in basic" from some stupid recruit. I guess as a part of that whole "breaking down/building up" crap the memories might get a bit screwed up and the dumba$$ rumor from the dip-sh!t in the next bunk is remembered as coming from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

About the only one of these stories that may be correct is them using our 81mm morters in their 82mm tubes
Well, you have to remember, that was at a time new weapons were just starting to be introduced, the CAR 15, AR 15,and the AR 16, the Hueys were made into gunships/rocket choppers, then the very early models of the Cobras were starting to appear, also that was the first time extensive use of the M-79 was in use, so at that period, any thing went as far as equipment.

Layton