what do you think I should do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > what do you think I should do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what do you think I should do?

Hello, first post on this site. I am interested in making an addition to the family with either a cheap ak or a handgun. I keep finding the wasr 10 for about $450-500 but have read mixed reviews all over. At the same price, i am very interested in a handgun in the same range, most likely a Springfield or some caliber. I know these are two completely different fire arms and thats why the site has separate categories but I am undecided. Obviously I am not stuck on one or the other and want to make a purchase soon but want it to be right. Does anyone recommend a semi auto rifle rather than the wasr 10 in the same price range, and if not which one would you recommend? Thanks and sorry for such a long first post.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Depends entirely of what you want to be able to do with the firearm. While handguns and semi-auto carbines have SOME points in common, they are different (of course)

If what you want is plinking at 100 meters, and self defense in a SHTF situation, go for the carbine (altho a good SKS will run you less than an AK type, and usually be a smidge more accurate- your mileage may vary)

If you want target shooting at 25 meters, and a portable, concealable firearm, go for the handgun.

OR- get a decent SKS, and a USED Ruger 22 auto pistol, BOTH for $400 (with some careful shopping) On the days you can't afford the 7.62x39 ammo (is getting pricy) you can still go shoot the 22.

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya pick.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhledr View Post
Hello, first post on this site. I am interested in making an addition to the family with either a cheap ak or a handgun. I keep finding the wasr 10 for about $450-500 but have read mixed reviews all over. At the same price, i am very interested in a handgun in the same range, most likely a Springfield or some caliber. I know these are two completely different fire arms and thats why the site has separate categories but I am undecided. Obviously I am not stuck on one or the other and want to make a purchase soon but want it to be right. Does anyone recommend a semi auto rifle rather than the wasr 10 in the same price range, and if not which one would you recommend? Thanks and sorry for such a long first post.
Want a fun gun...deadly fun, accurate (don't listen to the AR guys, I have both) over the top dependable and easily the best long gun to bling out, go with the WASR 10. Cheap ammo and parts everywhere and think about this, you will be able to get a revolver or a 1911 after noboma fu*ks up our toy list. Go with the AK!

EVERYTHING below (excluding the Colt) for <$900!

1sur47new.jpg

As new ^

zombie50.jpg

With two eye optics ^

reachout50.jpg

With one eye optics ^

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #4

Get both .... problem solved .

Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Get both .... problem solved .
This works for me, but only after thirty minutes of begging.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

My first priority for having a gun is home defense. For that I have a 12 gauge seven shot short barrel.

For fun (and added HD) I would then add a handgun (or two, or three, or four) as I can shoot it at the local range.

Then a few rifles to round things out.

But that's just me.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #7

the ak is just a badass gun all around. get the gp1975 model instead of the wasr. it isnt as cheap looking ang the parts fit better...like the magazine for instence. and its teh same price. even though the wasr is still tight.

get a pistol also.

Steyr M9-A1

Walther P99 .40

GP1975 AK-47

DPMS Panther AR-15

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #8

WASR-10.......Sweet rifle ....GET IT. As for the pistol.......certified pre owned sigs are the way to go. Great shape, already had some amount of rounds through it so reliability should be great, quality handgun and many caliber choices and switchouts.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The the price of a high-end AK you can buy an unmodified Saiga AK in 7.62X39 AND a Maverick 88 12 ga pump which is a generic clone of the Mossberg Model 500. Use the Maverick for home defense and the Saiga for "the end of the world as we know it."

Old 07-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am curious, will the 7.62 communist block AK47 still can shoot the Nato 7.62 round.When we were first issued the M-14, we were told that the Russians could use the Nato, but the Russian 7.62 would not fit ours.

Just curious, all rifle ammo I have used is military or civilian.

Layton